Thursday, January 6, 2011

Survival

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm a little concerned about all of these dead birds, dead fish, dead other animals that have been piling up. Okay, so it's probably not the end of their species...yet, but it's strange nevertheless.

Somewhere along the line I read an online newspaper comment that redirected me to a website run by a survivalist.

Now, I'd like to be as prepared as possible for chaos, but some of these blogs out there are just as disturbing as the birds falling out of the sky. One woman, whose blog I've lost or I'd post a link, is a single mother who appears obsessed with being prepared for the endtimes. I mean, it's not good enough to have stockpiles of food (you won't be able to cook it) or to garden (people will see you outside). She's now growing her food indoors and has tips for keeping your windows concealed enough that mutinous anarchists won't be able to see in, but the plants will get enough light to produce food.

Usually I say whatever interests you, whatever. Right? I used to dress up in medieval clothing and go camping in the summer. That's odd too.

But seriously, is it healthy to live in that kind of fear? To impose that amount of fear on a child?

Now, I don't know this woman, so perhaps she's managed to seem more upbeat and hopeful with her daughter, but I'm seriously doubting it. And I could be completely wrong to be concerned, considering if her worst fears come true I'll be the one who won't survive.

I don't disagree in general with the concept of being prepared (in fact, I'd like to have more emergency rations myself). But am I preparing a years worth of homemade MREs like this woman? No. I'm more hopeful that if something drastic DOES happen we as community members will somehow be able to organize together to ensure our survival. Just working on a farm for a short time and I already know it's no joke to be able to grow your own food. Seriously, if food supply lines died you're really want some help.

I think people in general completely underestimate the time and effort involved in being self sufficient. In general I'd say the Mormons with their stockpiled food and community membership would probably do the best if something went wrong. They, as a community, could be self sufficient. But look at Jamestown and Plymouth. The original colonists came and settled down, and most weren't really used to farming (especially in Jamestown). Tons of people died because they underestimated how difficult it is to rely on the earth (and they started their growing season a bit too late, but that's life for you).

So I've got to wonder, what is a healthy level of concern for survival? We are in the midst of global climate change, and we're past peak oil, and we live in politically unstable times, and we have very little agricultural or manufacturing communities around us. So how much should a person be concerned?

On one hand, live in the moment. On the other hand there's the story of the cricket who didn't put away food for winter (but the ant did, or was it the other way around?).

I think I'm pretty much beyond hoping to save humanity. We either will, or will not survive a change of atmosphere. What I'm not done thinking about, however, is how we as humans can return to a more harmonious relationship with the earth while retaining the comforts of life as we know it. Seriously, indoor heating (best thing ever).

But I feel like a nut even talking like that. Maybe not as much of a nut as this other lady who gave up her house, moved 1000 miles to buy a house with cash so she could establish a safehouse for the end times. But still a bit of a nut, and I can guarantee you that my husband (who doesn't have the desire to plan a month ahead of time) would not be interested in too much radical preparation.

So how do you feel about the way of the world? What do you think are realistic steps to prepare for the future (which by all accounts will at least be somewhat different than the world we live in today?) Are you and ant or a grasshopper? I'm not sure what I am. Maybe a locust?

No comments: