Thursday, July 28, 2011

Permaculture

per·ma·cul·ture

noun /ˈpərməˌkəlCHər/

The development of agricultural ecosystems intended to be sustainable and self-sufficient

I'm about to take a course on permaculture. I've been wanting to do this for years and years and years, and I finally get to do it! Never mind that my own garden is covered in grass, the tomatoes need some support, and I haven't seeded my fall plants yet. I'm going to learn to be a farmer. I wonder if they'll also teach me to do my chores on time too? Or maybe I won't need to do chores because everything is self-sufficient. I hope they tell me I need chickens....

What I do with all of this knowledge is up in the air. Construction continues on our house (tiles have been purchased and the walls are done) but I'd really like to get out of the city someday. What good is learning how to farm if you don't have a farm? Until then I'm trying to work on a list of reasons I like Massachusetts, and specifically Boston. Here's my list so far:

1) The American Provisions shop is just around the corner if I want to buy some local eggs or meat.
2) I can take the bus or cycle to work
3) My yard is south facing (and may have inspired a few neighbors to actually plant something other than grass)
4) Health insurance in MA includes IVF under "medical necessity" laws
5) I live in a diverse population, restaurants and shops reflect the variety of cultures that surround us.
6) My church is awesome, even if I don't go every week.

2 comments:

BriteLady said...

Sounds like fun.

BTW, there have been a series of articles in National Geographic over the year about feeding the growing world population in the years to come. There is a lot about how companies are re-thinking agriculture--trying to develop perennial grain plants that produce without needing to plow the fields under ever year was a neat one. I think the most recent one had an article about potato farming in south america, and how the folks who work the land plant some huge number of different potato varieties all together to help combat the risks of weather--whether its drought or high rains or whatever, some set of the varieties will thrive even while some die out. Very different from the monolithic method of farming around much of the US and elsewhere (acres upon acres of a single variety of grain that will all succeed or fail together).

Anyway, enjoy the class. It should be fascinating!

Bethany said...

It was! I've got 3 more sessions to go to, but even just attending the first session was overwhelming (in a good way!). It was much more than I realized, and I'm still processing or I'd post something about it. If you have time, look up information on Edible Forests.

http://book.icelandair.is/plnext/icelandairFPC/Fare.action;jsessionid=3w1zT7SFGwFWS4XSLT8l1TBD1tj1QPGFxPv7NXl8bfxXQJ7hQchY!1046658544!398355466