Friday, August 21, 2009

Logging Hours

Well, the community garden is a mess. Actually I can't really say that since I haven't seen it in a few months, but guessing by the vast greenness around me, it's safe to say that weeds have taken over.

Working is good for me, even if those are some pretty long hours I've been keeping. I logged 52 hours last week, but that means I spent an additional 10 hours driving to and from work. This week will most likely be even worse. But overall I feel productive and, although the job itself can be stressful, I'm enjoying not having huge responsibility. One of the reason's I took the job was to save up enough to go back to school, but I've found out I have two more years of tuition and housing allowance from the VA. SWEET!

I am definitely going to work on my ESL certification. Northeastern has an online program that I'm interested in. If I did it just right it would take a year to complete, although right now it might take longer. I'm not enrolled for September with little time to get all my paperwork together. I may be starting in January.

I wasn't sure about an online degree and how it would be recognized, but Northeastern is literally around the corner and I could take most classes on campus if I wanted to. I've taken an online class before and thought it went pretty well, online classes just work better when you've got a job. With any luck I'll be able to find a job while taking classes, and if not, I'm hoping to find an internship or practicum that will give me some hands on experience.

I have to say that I debated quitting when I found out about my VA benefits, but staying busy seems to be working for me right now. Time enough when this contract ends and I go back to my life of luxury. In fact, it might not be the worst thing if I waited until January to start. I could earn as much as possible for the next month, take a couple of months off, and then dive into another degree program.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes.

No comments: