Monday, August 24, 2009

A Success!

I grilled dinner tonight!

I don't grill often, but I wasn't sure what to do with all the veggies that I picked from our roof deck garden. The fact that I have veggies to pick is in itself a success, but doubly so since I could actually consume them in a way that did not require ketchup to hide the taste.

With the exception of the onion which I got in my biweekly box and the can of green chili that I can't live without, I doused the squash, zucchini, and green pepper (along with the onion and green chili) in olive oil and garlic (oops, forgot about that, but it's from my grandfather's garden) and wrapped it all in foil and stuck the pouch on the grill.

I then took some corn that I'd bought locally, buttered and garliced it, wrapped it in foil and grill the corn as well. I cooked up some Quinoa (probably not as local, but hopefully more so than some other options) and served it with the veggies.

Yum. Seriously I don't think there's anything better than grilled corn on the cob.

We had leftover pork from our farewell party for a friend of ours this weekend, but I think I had two bites. This was a very local friendly meal and I really didn't even need the meat at all. Actually I didn't even have room for fruit salad (also made from the produce in our biweekly box) or the homemade chocolate cake (also left over from the party...I have to say it came out really really well).

Okay, so my meal may not sound as interesting to anyone else as it is for me...but hey, I'm pretty proud of this meal. A few years ago my concept of dinner was thawing out pre-cooked chicken patties, opening a bag of frozen broccoli, and serving it all along with a helping of instant mashed potatoes (seriously I lived on this meal from about the age of 24-26). Now I can't wait for my garbanzo beans to sprout!

2 comments:

BriteLady said...

Sounds yummy to me. I love grilled veggies. Hubby sometimes tries to mix up fancy spice blends for them, but I like olive oil and salt & pepper. And butter on the corn :)

We have a grill tray that has small holes in it that keepst he veggies from falling through the grill racks, and doesn't require foil (it was pretty cheap and from the grocery store...). Or you can also stick things on a skewer (metal ones are reusable). If you go those routes, you just have to watch & turn the veggies more so they don't scorch before they're done.

And I know its not local to boston, but pineapple chunks grill up beautifully with bell peppers, onions, and whatever other veggies you like. They add some nice sweetness.

Bethany said...

I'll have to look for a grill tray, but it's looking like grilling season is coming to an end. I'm a little sad the weather's changing (so soon, we really didn't get much of a summer this year) but I'm looking forward to that crisp autumn feel when the leaves change. Maybe I can convince Gerd to throw on a coat and grill in the snow :)