Friday, November 6, 2009

Too much time causes my head to ramble

Well, the grandparents enjoyed my visit, which was nice. I got behind in my writing, but priorities must be set. I'm at a little over 6,000 words and want to be at 12,500 by the end of Sunday. It's possible, but we'll see if I make the goal or not. My mind is on a million different things right now.

Like, how can you make powdered milk at home (you can't really) and where are my tickets to the Agriculture in Education convention I go to tomorrow?

I woke up remembering high school and houses and had a huge blog formed in my head. It all started by remembering my friend Kristi's mom's hair when she was pregnant with her youngest child. It have a strange and jumbled mind. I think it went something like this: 35ish and pregnant, glowing hair, where will they put another kid in that house (the house wasn't that small, just seemed like it with 4 girls to an only child), my own house was big and very, very clean in high school. This is the shortened version. Needless to say it would have been one very large rambling entry.

I go visit my father in a week and try to convince him to come to New York for a summer wedding. I might drive out to Providence the day before we leave to attend a presentation of urban farmers. And that led me back to making your own ingredients. I missed boxed meals. They're so easy. I could make my own kits I suppose, right? But doesn't that somewhat defeat the purpose?

None of this is related to my novel, which I can't seem to concentrate on because my head is enveloped in fifty million different thoughts. I wonder if writing is opening my mind to more thoughts or if my mind is just avoiding the task of writing a novel. Either way I need a somewhat quiet cafe that does NOT have internet access. A little over 2,000 words a day and I'll be back on track again. Perhaps I should start a star chart.

2 comments:

BriteLady said...

Actually, she was 40 and pregnant. Not sure if her hair was a good thing or not, but I am quite happy with genetics in that department--mom still has no visible gray (though I think she gets her color brightened occasionally).

And the only reason we kind of fit in that house was because two of us were gone to college by then. The house was not big enough for a family of 6, let alone 7.

Given how quickly my house now is trashed by two little people, I am now suitably impressed by how we managed with 6 of us in half the space. And I understand why my parents never wanted to have company!

Good luck on the writing. Just stick on headphones, have a drink (caffeinated or not, as your choice) nearby, and go. Don't think, just write. Editing is for December. So is spell checking!

Last year I wrote myself into a hole and started the next section with "Pretend the last twenty pages don't exist". And I TOTALLY COUNTED all the words for the stuff I planned to cut. Every last one of them!

Bethany said...

I added you as a NaNoWriMo buddy, but I'm not really sure what that means yet :) I'm up to over 7,000 words (still a bit behind, but catching up is still possible). I feel a little better looking at the average number of words for the Boston region. People aren't already 10,000 words ahead of me, so I guess I'm somewhat on track.