Monday, October 25, 2010

Energy

I recently read an article about the effects of cell phones on our health. The claim? The energy transmitted from cell phones causes anything from depression to cancer to ADHD. Apparently 2000 hours of cell phone use over a lifetime makes one 200% more likely to get brain cancer on the side of the head where you hold your phone.

I go to acupuncture, which is energy work. Acupuncture claims to resolve energy blockages in the system which can cause physical ailments. Yoga also focuses on movement of energy, and I have to say that I feel emotionally better after both yoga and acupuncture.

The article wasn't actually limited to cell phones, but also suggested that the amount of energy thrumbing around us, via laptop or alarm clocks, or turned off TVs has an effect on our well being.

So should I abandon modern technology? Abandon my iPhone? I'm an iPhone addict.

The whole concern comes at a time when I feel like I don't have any energy. A gluten free, refined sugar free, caffeine free diet has its drawbacks. I'm no longer dreaming of eating sugar, but I'd say I'm still feeling emotionally drained. No longer can I eat a piece of candy to get myself out of a bad mood or drink a cup of coffee to help me concentrate.

So I find myself wondering.

How much healthier would I be without the modern conveniences we have today. No cell phone, computer, electricity for that matter. No gas or car or processed foods.

I'm pretty sure my health would be great...unless something went wrong.

The same society that creating things that kills us creates cures that heal us. I might not like pesticides and disposable napkins, but could we have modern medicine without the advances we've made through the industrial and agricultural revolutions?

I know, it's a pretty deep post for a Monday morning. But it IS a rainy day, which in itself would lead me down a dreary path. Three of my students came into class today telling me that friends of theirs had died over the weekend. Boston is sick with violence right now, and it's easy to say that our modern way of life has created a social sickness.

But the truth is, I'm trying to be more optimistic. The things we take for granted may be killing us, but they might also be keeping us alive.

No comments: