Tuesday, November 30, 2010

I thought I'd write a novel?

So, looking at November I have to say, I really thought I'd write a novel this month? Crazy.

Thanksgiving was great, the week before it booked solid, and today is Gerd's 40th birthday. Happy Birthday honey!

The month has moved along too fast to be bad. In fact, I've been pretty pleased about my workplace, and been getting happier about our house (until the furnace flooded and died) and overall more optimistic. We're even hosting a house party this weekend (I really must be crazy).

Yesterday I asked my students when winter really begins (hint, not just on the day marked by the solstice). Most said it begins when they get cold enough to put on a coat or that winter comes with the first snow. My own definition?

Seasons change when I start to feel miserable enough that I have to change something in my routine to become happy again. Like, turn up the heat, dig out the warm boots, pack away any dresses that are too tempting to keep wearing, dig out the ski gear, and stock up on soup.

So as far as I'm concerned, winter is here. I've just been so busy with life I forgot to notice.

1 comment:

BriteLady said...

I was gung-ho about NaNoWriMo until about November 3rd. I might have been more successful if I'd actually tried to write something new instead of trying to write 50,000 words of the middle of something I've already started. But since I was already in the middle...

Ah well. I did add 16,000 words to my middle (though I was so sleepy on some of those nights I did write that my words may not form complete sentences

This spring I was really successful (if ireverant) at writing the second half of a manuscript over lent. I doubt the Catholic church would approve of my using a prayerful time to write a sexy romance, but the schedule worked really well (and I was aiming for 25,000 words in 7 weeks, which turned out to be a pretty good pace for me).

If you ever want a writing buddy or need encouragement (or a kick int he you-know-what to get going) let me know :)