Monday, November 8, 2010

What is and is not going on...

Well, my nanowrimo didn't get off to a good start this year. Day 2 I ate lamb, which I usually can eat, except couldn't anymore. Instead of normal irritating but fleeting red meat reactions, I was pretty sick for 2 days. Then there was the grain pick up.

I now own 1/2 of my 1/2 share grain share. I've got wheat, spelt, rye, and corn, all of which I'm going to need to find glass containers for, and learn how to cook. Oh, and I need to buy a mill.

My garden is no longer alive since we've met our first frost, but I also haven't managed to pull up the plants yet. That would require figuring out where to put the outdoor compost, and I haven't an idea yet.

I've managed to make almond flour chocolate chip cookies, which are pretty good, but not as good as my moms. Seriously, my mom makes the best chocolate chip cookies, ask anyone. We have also now discovered that gluten free pizza crust is not equal to the regular stuff.

The crazy diet is still crazy, although I'm not sure what good it's doing. After reading about soy milk being, perhaps, not good for people we've now switched back to cow milk, but raw cow milk. We cheated over the weekend too and had a wonderful breakfast in the North End. I think caffeine may make me a smarter person.

Life just keeps on truckin by.

2 comments:

BriteLady said...

Not to add paranoia to your diet, but you might want to look up Listeria when thinking about raw milk. Normally causes mild digestive upset but can be very bad once you get pregnant. Unless they've changed the advice, pg women are advised to avoid any unpastueruized dairy.

I've never tried all the gluten-free baking, but I am fascinated by some of the options and keep thinking that the nut flours could be fun to experiment with. Trouble is, I apparently live in the cheap suburbs, not the hoity-toity ones whose grocery stores carry fancy flours and grains and things, and if I drive all over town buying the food then I'm out of time to cook any of it :)

Are you still writing? Whatcha writing? :)

Bethany said...

Heya :)

I'm not really still writing. Up until Monday I had a hope that I would catch back up again, but in reality, not going to happen... I started a scifi story about a race of cloned people, the idea focusing around one girl who is different, even though her genes, upbringing, and experiences are identical to all the clones. Anyway, I really didn't have a good idea of where I was going with it.

Even in Boston where we have a bunch of specialty stores I couldn't find almond flour (except for the one type specifically mentioned by the cookbook NOT to use) I ordered some online, and it was pricey, but worth it. Here's the link to the cookbook I used (as found on Amazon). If you look partway down there are a couple of youtube videos by the author that I used to make my cookies.

http://www.amazon.com/Gluten-Free-Almond-Flour-Cookbook/dp/158761345X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1289339847&sr=8-1

As for Raw Milk, I've done some research on it and while I value the FDA's efforts to make sure we eat safe food, I disagree on their concerns over raw milk. Yes Listeria is bad, but it's far less common that the e.coli outbreaks we've had from other food products. Just in the past few years we've had outbreaks in eggs, spinach, beef, and even peanut butter.

I would not buy raw milk from a traditional farm. I don't buy raw cheese from a grocery store either. Listeria develops from bad farming practices and contamination so it's important for me to know my farmer.

Here's one response to raw milk from a blog I enjoy reading (no, it's not where the meat of my research comes from, but good nevertheless).

http://backyardfarming.blogspot.com/2010/02/raw-milk-good-bad-and-ugly.html

Oh, and from the California Department of health:

In the United States, an estimated 2,500 persons become seriously ill with listeriosis each year.

There have been 48 documented cases of death due to listeriosis (including infants/fetuses) since 1985.

Will I continue drinking raw milk when I get pregnant? Probably not (I generally err on the side of caution) but that really hasn't been a concern yet.