Monday, December 13, 2010

Leftovers

I'm home sick today and my doctor's appointment isn't until 1:00 so I might as well blog. I've had a stomach ache for over 1 1/2 weeks, generally been achy, and overall just not right. I'd hoped I was finally pregnant, but I guess not. Considering recent fertility bad news it would've been a miracle anyway, but now I'm wondering if it's not THAT, why in the world am I nauseous?

Two weekends ago we had a nice party, with tons of leftovers. Considering I haven't been feeling all that well, I haven't wanted to do much with the food. Since we'll be in Europe this Christmas, we really don't have much time to use up all of our leftovers, which forced me to deal with a refrigerator of food this weekend. We still had leftover turkey, 6 pounds of a 7 pound ham, tons of bread and cheese, and all of the vegetable from Boston Organics that I'd forgotten to cancel (specifically 2 squash, celery, turnips, onions, apples, oranges, pears, carrots, cranberries, mushrooms, and a head of cabbage).

So I decided to make soup. Actually, I've only made one pot of split pea soup, but I'm expecting to eat most of it before we go, and freeze the rest. It's easy on the tummy, used a bunch of the ham, carrots, onions, and celery, and didn't require effort (gotta love crock pots).

I also made a quiche to get rid of the rest of my eggs, use some of the cheese (still tons more to go), reduce the amount of ham, and use up the aging cauliflower. I forgot to save some mushrooms for the quiche, so it was mushroomless. This should get us through breakfasts for the week.

For yesterday's dinner I made potato and turnip mash, which disguised the turnips nicely and prevented their waste. I also roasted one of the squash and made roasted mushrooms as found on SmittenKitchen. Oh MY GOD these were good mushrooms. I was a little worried that I wouldn't keep them down, but I couldn't stop eating them!

In addition over the weekend I made bread pudding and custard. The bread pudding used up almost all of the leftover bread and the custard was made with eggnog that was about to expire (plus it used some eggs).

I still need to deal with apples and oranges, one squash, the head of cabbage, and a couple more carrots. I put the rest of the ham in the freezer for another pot of split pea soup later on down the road.

The apples are easy, I'm going to make apple pie filling and can it, if I can find enough unused cans around the house. Oranges, on the other hand, I'm not so sure about. Perhaps I'll just make orange juice one night and call it done. Squash perhaps I'll make for dinner one night this week. Cabbage I'm tempted to make into sauerkraut, but that will require a bit of research. Plus there's the problem that I don't like sauerkraut and will be eating tons of it over Christmas. Gerd likes it though, so we'll see.

All of this is a bit of food to deal with when you don't feel like looking at food.

2 comments:

BriteLady said...

Stomach aches are no fun.

Just be careful that the leftovers aren't contributors to the problem. Hubby tried to heat up leftover mashed potatoes the other night from Thanksgiving (I had been intending to throw them out, but hadn't gotten around to it). They smelled of sour milk, and the kids were upset that I wouldn't let them eat them. Merl said he couldn't smell a thing, so maybe I was just being picky, but I'd rather toss something iffy than deal with multiple upset stomachs.

Also there are stomach bugs going around town here. Multiple people I know in very different circles have been hit lately.

I hope that whatever is bothering you goes away soon before your trip!

Bethany said...

Thanks, I'm hoping the food isn't my problem too. Gerd has a real problem wasting anything (even if I think it's gone bad) but I have no problem throwing out something I'm not too sure about. Unfortunately all food, even new food, makes me queezy. I'm thinking it must be a bug. As a teacher I'm introduced to all kinds of foul stuff over the year, but by now I have pretty high resistance to it all. Still, it could be something that slipped past me, or it could be stress that I'm internalizing, but not actually feeling. I don't know what a doctor can do, but I figure over a week is too long to feel nauseous.