Monday, April 11, 2011

One Drop Too Many

Yes, this is a phone post.

I love my iPhone. Really, I do. But the thing is, an iPhone without a fully functional display screen is not exactly great. Oh, it works still, but it will flip from regular brightness to super dim spontaneously (so dim you can't read the screen). Gerd's sure it's a loose wire, and all we need to do is find a screwdriver small enough to open up the case.

I took the opportunity to go look at androids. There doesn't appear to be a Sprint store in Boston (maybe they only sell online now?) but I passed a T Mobile store on the way to acupuncture today. Yes, I realize ATT may absorb T Mobile soon, but I'm sure they would have to honor contracts already signed.

As nice as the alternatives are, there's one main problem I still haven't resolved. I LOVE my calendar. My calendar is linked via Mobile Me to my laptop. Anytime I put in an event it's automatically synced to my home calendar, I don't have to plug my phone into my computer, it just works. The alerts that I set up will also alert me, by way of a pop up text box on my computer, that I have something to do.

I'm aware that androids will sync just fine for regular PC users, but I have a Mac. I love my mac, even when I run into difficulties like this. I've been trying to decide if I could live without the easy access to my calendar, but I kind of whine every time I think about giving up a really nice feature.

If I did give up the auto-sync option and get an android, I could avoid ATT and the iPhone glitches. I could get a PC too, therefore making everything more workable from an android point of view. Or, I could get an iPhone 4, which would lock me into ANOTHER 2 years with ATT, and I still wouldn't have an unlocked phone for Europe. I could get a refurbished iPhone 3gs for $20 or a refurbished iPhone 4 for $100 (still stuck with the contract). Also, I'm not so sure about the refurbished bit, especially for the IP4, considering it had a feature called the "death grip" when it first rolled out.

I'm not up for replacing my laptop if I don't absolutely need to. It's almost 4 years old, which is old by laptop years, but it works just fine (knock on wood) and if it breaks I know I can get it fixed for a $250 flat rate. I've been debating fixing it up anyway because it could use a new case, but it would be a waste if something else decided to break after sending it off to be repaired.

So really, I think sticking with the iPhone is probably my best bet right now. The only question is, how greedy am I? Twenty dollars is completely affordable, but an upgrade is sooo tempting. I'd get a flash for my camera! (seems like a little thing, but my phone is seriously about my only camera now). There are so many things I don't like about the iPhone, and ATT, but so far the perks are outweighing the drawbacks. (perks: easy compatibility, I already know how it works, I don't need to purchase any apps again on a new network, and drawbacks: dropped calls, high bill)

I'm so tempted to just live without a cell phone at all. Just let it break and never replace it. BUT, I know the first time I get lost, or miss an appointment, or wish I'd brought a book with me on the subway I'd be cursing myself for giving up on technology.

2 comments:

BriteLady said...

You can sync Android phones with the mac.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5945326_sync-android-mac.html

I've never done it (don't have a mac). I don't even sync mine with Outlook, just open Google calendar on the web. I also have 2 laptops (one old that stays home and a netbook with OpenOffice) and I'd rather not spend time syncing between them all. Plus I can see Google Calendar from work but can't use the phone there. All the "syncing" is automatic as long as the web browser and/or phone has a signal (and hubby gets the updates to the family calendar instantly as well).

For us, the Sprint data plan was a LOT cheaper than if we'd bought iPhones and I'm really happy with my Evo. Hubby is constantly tinkering with his (he has rooted it and done all sorts of non-Sprint customization...Android is definitely better for the geek-inclined).

But, the choice of iThing vs Android is kind of like PC vs Mac. It's all personal preference.

Bethany said...

Woo HOO!! The phone was working today, all day, but I can't count on it, since it was not working all day yesterday... I'm not very geek-inclined, but I would like to get out of a bad deal. The TMobile guy pretty much flatout said I couldn't sync. Guess he didn't know what he was talking about (huge surprise).