Friday, April 29, 2011

Adult

An unexpected bright part of the week! A visit from one of my best friends from high school!! Kelly had a conference in Boston and was able to sneak away for a evening. We went to Petit Robert, my favorite restaurant, although perhaps we should have gone elsewhere. I'd forgotten Kelly's gluten intolerance so she ended up with mussels instead of the requested "meat". Still, it's such a nice place to sit and talk, and the weather was nice enough for us to sit outside and relax.

Kelly had to go to Danvers the following day so she spent the night and I lent her my car. She got up early enough to ALMOST miss the rush hour traffic...on the way to work. Unfortunately she ended up in terrible traffic on the way back and was so late I was worried she'd miss her flight. Turns out I didn't need to worry about it. Fifteen minutes after dropping her off at the airport Kelly called to have me come pick her up again...her flight was canceled.

Bonus! Well, for me anyway. Kelly was looking forward to a flight home so she could run up to Chicago for the Gluten Free Festival... Instead we ended up touring Boston's Chinatown. We were supposed to head up to the North End for Italian gluten free pasta, but without my iPhone I made a few directional mistakes and began to stress out a little We ended up at a sushi place that was excellent (I even liked the raw eel!).

It's wonderful to see her again, but strange to see her as an adult. We have houses and significant others and real jobs... The last time we hung out, other than at a weekend wedding trip, was when we were in college! Sure, I've seen her a few times since, and it's nice but odd each time. Still, there's an easiness about us as friends, so while it isn't the same, it's comfortable to be around her again. We agreed, we shouldn't wait so long to see each other next time.

The downside of the week was the loss of my new iPhone. I finally broke down and bought an iPhone 4. The first day I had students it was stolen. I had it out to time a student, and within 30 minutes (while I was in the room) it disappeared. It's $600 to replace it so I'm still deciding what to do.... it was a very expensive mistake to leave my phone on my desk. I'm pretty sure I know who took it, but I'll never be able to prove it...it's gone. What ticks me off most is IF it really is who I think it is, I know what the money was for. I'm not entirely pro-life anymore, but that doesn't mean I want my property to be used to fund an abortion.

So the week has been a mixed bag. All in all though, a visit from an old friend is a great balm for an otherwise crummy week.

No comments: