Monday, May 2, 2011

Ding Dong

I don't rejoice in the death of Osama bin Laden. One friend on Facebook posted the following, and I think it just about sums up my feelings as well...

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars." - Martin Luther King Jr.

So I find myself thinking about the book Wicked, and the different perspective of the death of the wicked witch. (And that's just a movie.) Not everyone is as we portray them, and even the worst sorts have all kinds of hidden sides. I hope for bin Laden's sake that he was a person who loved and was loved by someone, and I hope that those who mourn him can find their way around the hate that is so present in our world today.

2 comments:

BriteLady said...

Well said.

I was getting terribly uncomfortable reading all of the "hooray he's dead" posts and messages.

I am hopeful that his absence will help cool tempers around the globe, but I'm still not celebrating. Just sad about the whole mess.

Bethany said...

Apparently it wasn't MLK who said it. Makes no difference to me, I still feel the same way. And I hear you on the posters (I even heard of parties celebrating his death).