Saturday, May 21, 2011

Nutritional Workshop

One of the nice things about my company is the professional development offered every year. This year our morning session was on nutrition, which happens to tie into a unit I want to teach this summer. It was very informative...but a bit frustrating from the standpoint of someone who is more organic minded.

I'm pretty sure the class was designed with a more mainstream crowd in mind. There were empty boxes of food on each table so we could practice reading the labels. We went over the evils of empty calories. Weight, shape, and BMI were all clearly laid out.

But...she made it sound like tub margarine was better than butter. She differentiated between "good sugar" and "bad sugar". She offered her opinion on cleanses...which is that anyone who does so must be crazy (because a colonoscopy doesn't make you feel better you know).

Now, my students are light years away from being concerned about the difference in glycemic count between agave nectar, honey, stevia, or maple sugar. They are completely unaware about the posibility of using wheatberries in your cooking, and have no concern about sprouted versus unsprouted flour.

So I should be particularly grateful that this nutritional "counselor" reintroduced me to mainstream thought. Not that I was planning on going so far into healthy eating as I could, but this workshop reminded me to focus on what my students will be able to do.

1) Avoid or reduce saturated fats
2) Reduce sugar intake, particularly in beverages
3) Add whole grains into their diet in some way.
4) Exercise 30 minutes 7 days a week.
5) Recognize a realistic portion size
6) Make sure eating is for nutrition, not for emotional reasons
7) Know the appropriate level for blood sugar, blood pressure, and BMI

No comments: