Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Thank Goodness the Weatherman was WRONG!

We had a beautiful weekend. I'm so glad I decided to stay put and not pay for a trip to Costa Rica :) As if I could currently afford a trip to Costa Rica.

Instead we went to the Cape and met my cousin once removed. She's a cutie! My cousin and his wife are happily ensconced in their new life, as I suppose it should be. I only got a bit teary once, and only then at discussing my own thoughts on children in the future. Seeing a baby didn't make me want a child more or less, it just made me want to hurry up a bit.

We left early because, although the kid was cute, there's only so much baby talk I can be submitted to right now. The idea was that I'd go to church, but I slept in late anyway and ended up missing the service. Ah well, it was a nice morning in the garden.

My tomatoes are doing well and a few seeds of beans and cucumbers are starting to peep through the earth. My potatoes have made an appearance! For a brief moment I imagined a barren landscape, but everything is beginning to grow....and get eaten by some unknown pest. Note to self, must look into organic methods of aphid removal, or whatever other bug eats spinach.

In the evening I remembered why we enjoy Boston. A few friends joined us for a dinner picnic at the Espinade. It didn't cool off until far later than we expected, but by 7:30 it was just about perfect. We walked over to the North End and grabbed some gelato from a stand and made our way to Revere Park.

Monday was just as nice. I had a groupon to the Isabelle Stewart Gardner Museum so my husband and I cycled over despite the warmth of the day. It's really amazing how a tree lined street can be so much cooler than one that doesn't have any shade. We took a nice bike path along a park I didn't know existed. I've got to return someday and check out the rose garden when everything is in bloom!

The museum was interesting, and easy to see in an afternoon. I wish I'd read up on it before hand and looked for all the missing artwork. I did notice a few empty frames, but didn't really know WHY they were empty until I got home and googled it. I'd like to go back someday when they have music in the courtyard. If I ever become a billionaire, I want a replica of that courtyard.

On our way home we checked out our old garden plot in the Victory Gardens...it was kind of bittersweet. It obviously hasn't been completely abandoned, but our version was better. It's just such a shame that it's too far away to keep. We loved our plot...but now we've got a nice yard to care for.

Work on Tuesday is a huge post of it's own, and one that I won't be able to write with only 7% of my battery life remaining. Until then, happy belated Memorial Day!

No comments: