Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Insomnia

I can't sleep.  I'm not sure if it's because a) I drank half a cup of chai at 5:00, b) I've had a splitting headache for the past 4 days due to allergies, c) I had a terrible day at work and am wondering if I'm in the right career (again), or d) my new thyroid medicine is keeping me awake.  Probably a combination of all four.

I really didn't want to have to call in sick today.  I don't even know WHO to call in sick too.  My boss is on vacation, his boss is on vacation, the emergency contact number is someone I've never met before and wouldn't be able to do anything about my absence anyway.  At around 4:00 this morning, after giving up my 3rd attempt at falling asleep (I'd already tried reading, meditating, watching TV, writing down my thoughts in a journal, praying, laying down on the sofa, surfing the web, and drinking water...didn't dare try to take more headache medicine) anyway, after all of that I made a vow that I would go into work for at least a half day.  I mean, if you can't sleep, what's the point of staying home anyway?  Except that my head is still killing me, I can't focus on objects (the screen is a bit blurry as I write) and I feel like I'm about to crash any moment now.  I have a feeling that if I actually tried to teach anything I would come out like the teachers on the Peanuts movies...blah blah blah blah blah.  Although, I am able to write this, so maybe I'll be okay after all?  Hmm, 2 more hours to contemplate that.  Maybe I can get into the doctor's office and get some real allergy medicine, this prescription strength stuff doesn't seem to be prescription strength.


No comments: