Monday, November 19, 2012

The Routine

I think I would go crazy if I didn't try to follow some sort of schedule with the twins. Sometimes it just doesn't work, but overall I try to follow a routine. The times are pretty solid in the morning, more approximate in the afternoon (except bedtime, that almost always occurs between 6 and 6:30...otherwise they get over tired).

At 5am Tim wakes up, gets a formula bottle, is changed, then goes back to bed.

At 6:30-7:00 Ryan wakes up, gets a formula bottle, is changed, dressed in day clothes, and then hangs out with me on the bed until Tim wakes up. We break out the morning toys...a stuffed dragon that crinkles, a few fluffy stuffed animals, a dog that squeeks...

8:00ish, Tim wakes up.  I change him, dress him in day clothes, then play with him along with Ryan on the bed for a little bit until we make the trek downstairs.  I carry one, then the other baby downstairs (trying not to fall) and put them in bouncers in the kitchen.

9:00  Whoever said not to put bouncers on an elevated surface doesn't have twins.  I put the bouncers on the kitchen table and warm up 2 breast milk bottles. I then roll up some dish towels to prop the bottles and give the babies their bottles at the same time.  I have to make sure they stay upright here and there, but overall, I have my hands to myself.  I try to hold onto their hands while they eat so they're still getting some contact.

9:30  I make breakfast for me and Gerd.  Often eggs, sometimes oatmeal and almonds..simple, but with protein.

10:00-10:30 The babies take a nap, give or take 30 minutes.
 
10:45.  I put both babies are on the play mat.  I play with them a bit while they kick around, then pick one baby up at a time and read stories to them for around 10 minutes each, then play with them together for a little bit.  Overall, this takes around 30-40 minutes.

11:15-I'm back in the kitchen warming another 2 breastmilk bottles.  I have the babies in the living room still.  If they're fussy, one gets the swing while I feed the other baby.  I want to hold them at least once during the day.

11:45 - back to the kitchen and the bouncers while I fix lunch for me and Gerd.

12:15, back to the living room and tummy time or off for a walk.  If tummy time, that only lasts about 10 minutes, then I flip them over and play with them a while longer.  So far they really don't like tummy time.

1:00:  Another breast milk bottle for each and then time for another nap.  This one usually lasts about an hour.

2:00 back to the play mat and I sing to them for a while.  If we haven't already gone for a walk, sometimes we do now, otherwise I try to fit in some tummy time.

3:00:  We break out the formula bottles, then they take another nap...if I'm lucky.

4:00:  We wing it here.  Another book usually, and then some time on a blanket.  The afternoon often doesn't go quite as planned as the morning...

5:00:  Gerd is "off work" and comes down to help out.  They get another formula bottle

6:00 or 6:30ish  The bedtime routine begins, a bath for each, a song as they finish their bottle or drink another one.  From bath to bed takes about an hour.

No comments: