Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Public Schools

Today, the kids had a pajama party at their public preschool.  When I arrived to drop them off, I found out they would be watching a video in school.  No notice given, no permission slip, and I still don't know what movie. 

When I mentioned to another mother that I was upset that they didn't notify us about the movie, she said that her kindergartner watches small TV clips EVERY DAY in Kindergarten.  TV, she said, is regular practice, and is used as "down time' for the kids.  I'm not so okay with that.  In fact, I'm pretty much freaking out.  First, that TV is used regularly in school anyway.  Second, that students need down time in Kindergarten.  Third, that down time gets associated with television rather than physical play. 

One of three things will happen if I find out this is true.  A) we will find a private school for the kids, B) I will homeschool them or C) we will move to Canada or Europe.  Well that last bit was already on the books in case Trump stands a chance as becoming president anyway. 

Maybe, if I hold the kids out until they're 6, I'll revise my opinion that they can go to a school that is so strenuous that they need TV to relax.  I wouldn't hold my breath on that one though.  Of course my husband totally thinks I'm overreacting, but I just can't see how any of this is what I want for my children.

No comments: