Tuesday, December 2, 2008

New York

We could have stayed in Glens Falls for the weekend and hung out with Mom and Wally during the construction of their new bathroom. They had to fire the contractor who was doing little, charging a lot, and didn't know diddly about wiring, so their Thanksgiving weekend was devoted to undoing the contractors work, hiring a new electrician, and prepping the walls for drywall.

Gerd and I fled to New York City instead. It's only about 4 hours from my parents house to NYC and there we're not required to hammer, saw, or measure. Also, it became a birthday present to Gerd who has just turned old. Okay, not old, but he is two years off of old. Anyway, he's never been to a Broadway show before, so I thought about tickets until I saw the price and remembered that I don't have a job anymore. So we went to see Off-Broadway. I picked Stomp because I figured he likes music, he likes to see different things, and who doesn't like Stomp?

It was pretty good, Gerd enjoyed the show, but it wasn't as good as the first time I saw it in college. I don't know if it's because the whole thing was new then, or if it was just that I was new to seeing shows at the time, or what. Anyway it WAS good, but I wished I'd splurged on Broadway tickets instead. It wasn't WOW like it should have been. Amusing, but now WOW.

The highlight of the trip actually was dinner. It's always dinner that makes the night, but we didn't really know where to go, so we just wandered along a few streets until we saw something good. What we found was Afghani food with an atmosphere of a Bedouin tent. Fabric was draped over the ceilings and walls that gave it the illusion of a circular room, some people were smoking hookahs, and the tables had rugs on them (well, with glass on top). The food was excellent, the tea (chey) even better, and it didn't even break the bank. Our only regret was that we were too full for desert.

I'd talk about our second day roaming through Central Park in the rain, or the hours spent in the MET, the quest for Rockefeller Center, and the long, long drive home. But it was pretty much that, a rainy day in the city.

No comments: