Thursday, November 27, 2008

Home for Thanksgiving

After 2 hours stuck in traffic it finally picked up a bit on our way out of Boston. I guess everyone flees Boston the first chance they can. It's not that Boston isn't wonderful, it is, but it is SO irritating too. I could write an entire post on how to find food in Boston, not the precooked kind. Well, actually I could do one on restaurants too. There's this great little Thai place...

I digress.

Our 3 1/2 hour trip was exactly 2 hours longer than it should have been. It was so long that Gerd actually broke down and had a McDonalds hamburger. I can tell you that, for him, that's like pouring acid down your throat, willingly.

But yay, we made it, to find out that we'd be taking over Mom and Wally's bedroom because they had to fire their handy man. They've been putting a new bathroom in upstairs and they guy pretty much left a side of their house exposed to the outdoors for a week, in winter. They're just plain lucky it hasn't snowed yet. Anyway we said we didn't care if it was frigid upstairs (which it is) or that there isn't any electrity (which there is not). We would rough the elements, but my parents being my parents said no, we're guests.

Guests, in my parents house. Nope, not really. Gerd's the guest, they'd stick me on the floor in a sleeping bag. But it's nice that they're so considerate to my guy. I think they're afraid to drive him away, now that I've got a keeper :)

So today we head over to the Big Family Thanksgiving full of New Yorkers who talk over themselves regularly. Perhaps they just wanted to make sure Gerd had enough beauty sleep before trying to understand 14 people talking at the same time, in English of course.

I suppose I should write something sappy about what I'm giving thanks for this Thanksgiving, but I'll save that for another post. No I won't, I give thanks for everything. Still sappy. Oh well.

Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: