Monday, November 24, 2008

fur skin guilt

So, I love IKEA. I love walking in and seeing all the modern edges and decorations. I wish I could just transport some of their model rooms into my house. Honestly, I think I missed my calling, I wish I'd studied interior design. Okay, maybe not, but I do really like decorating.

During my last trip to IKEA I bought stuff to make the spare bedroom more of a room and less of a closet and, when picking out a rug for the floor I saw a fur skin rug that I thought would look great downstairs in front of the fireplace. I tend to get distracted from time to time.

Anyway I got everything home, it all looks great, yada yada, and then I realize the fur skin rug really is a fur skin rug.

I mean, why would I think that a sheep skin rug at IKEA really is the real deal. It's meant to look nice, but overall IKEA seems to try to be as green and friendly as possible.

So I keep telling myself that surely the rug distributors used the rest of the sheep for some sort of food like purpose and the skins would otherwise be used somehow else or thrown away. Yet I feel guilty, like by buying the rug I created the demand for animal slaughter.

My cats really, really like it though. They curl up in it and purr, and often sniff, lick, and kneed the rug whenever we're sitting nearby.

So I guess I'm keeping it, because really, what else is there to do? I guess I could sell it on craigslist, but it's not like suddenly there's one less sheep skin rug in the world. Now I'm wishing that I'd just thought before I bought. As usual I got an idea and ran for it, not really contemplating what I was doing.

But it stays, and it looks nice (if you don't mind dead carcasses on the floor) and it's definitely warm. I guess the best thing you can do with something that is a bit of a waste is use it and appreciate it so that at least it has some purpose. My cats definitely appreciate it.

2 comments:

BriteLady said...

Look at it this way: is it any worse than buying a leather jacket? And people do eat mutton (somewhere).

Mmm..IKEA. I love the store and I've never actually been in one. They used to send me catalogs, and I'd drool over them. Cool stuff. Love the prices. I keep thinking that I should start some mass email campaign to convince them to open a store in St. Louis, but I just don't have that much time on my hands :)

Bethany said...

Hey, you snuck in here! I'm so glad someone at least viewed one of my posts :)

I love IKEA, one of these days you should come visit and I'll take you there, it is so much better in person. Do mothers ever get a vacation? If so, you should come out for a weekend away and have some fun. Boston's a blast (but I recommend spring, summer, or autumn, not winter!)