Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Job search driving me crazy

Since I got out of the Army I don't have a job anymore. For a change I decided to substitute teach at a Quaker school in Cambridge. I got to watch kids out out the Treaty of Versailles today. There was chaos, it was wonderful. Darcy did a great job with the kids and it made me so sad that I don't have my own classroom.

I've been in a panic all day thinking about not having a job. I know I can't really find one yet, not until Gerd and I get back from our Christmas trip to Europe, but that doesn't stop me from worrying. And, might I mention, I still have a master's thesis hiding in the wings waiting to be written.

It was enough to give me hives. Yep, really, big ugly welts all over my body. Actually it all started last week and I was drugged with Benedryl all weekend attempting to sooth my skin. They appeared to be going away, until I took a hot shower. Apparently that's the worst thing ever you can do for a rash. Anyway, I seem to wake up itchy get better through the day and then go to bed scratching again. And today's stress, that's right, today's stress caused more welts to appear.

But have I mentioned that I have the ultimate best boyfriend in the entire universe. Usually he thinks I want something when I speak like that, but it's true. He's pretty awesome. Yesterday when he came home he played love songs on his guitar for me, and tonight he tried to get my computer to hook up to the TV so I could watch yesterday's NCIS episode on the "big screen".

He tells me I'm not going to end up destitute on the street. He even said that if I don't find anything by next year we could always go back to my job in New Mexico. I figure he thinks he's safe because surely even I can find a stable job within a year...but it's nice to hear. As much as I love New Mexico he knows there's no way I'd last that long without finding something, anything, to keep me busy. Otherwise I'd be tempted to not find a job.

But there are too many shoes that need a good home for me to be unemployed, so no need for concern.

No comments: