Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Relationships

I am so glad I'm with Gerd. Besides all of the lovey dovey stuff, the fact that he floats my boat, so on and so forth, I am so glad not to be single anymore.

Okay there are days when I miss some things about singlehood. Not because we argued or anything, we almost never argue. I'm just used to being alone and it's familiar to me. I'll never get my solar power green house with a self-sustaining garden near my mother's house now. But maybe I wouldn't have been able to have it all on my own either.

I've had a lot of failed relationships. Most of the time it was me ending things because things didn't seem right or we were going in different directions. True, I've been dumped too. It took me YEARS to get over Devon. I was engaged, he was married, and STILL it was hard to be around him. But despite all of these different men in my life I've never felt so connected to anyone, ever. It's almost a bit scary, because I know we're in it for good. I know it's not going to be easy, although it's easy right now. And I know he feels the same way. Definitely scary.

We have a common friend who is unhappily single. He keeps asking me what women want and what he can do to find the right woman. Hell if I know. I mean, meeting Gerd was a complete fluke, and I almost didn't go out with him a second time. He didn't know how long he would stay in Boston, he was east German and I was in the military with clearances, I didn't know if I should take the chance. Sure glad I did.

So our friend doesn't know how to naturally pick up a girl without either being completely obvious or a little creepy. He's a perfectly nice guy, he just isn't the best at social situations. For instance, he met a girl at a conference, they chatted, he felt that she was interested in him, but they parted without contact information. He claims he didn't go farther because he was a conference, and who picks women up at conferences, that she lived in NYC, and why look for a long distance relationship, that he got interrupted by a colleague, and he didn't have the opportunity to get her number. SO, he found her on the internet. She had mentioned what school she went to, he knew her name, he easily found her on Facebook.

Now, maybe it's just me, but I don't particularly like to be researched on the internet. Not that there's much about me out there. A google search for Bethany Vaughn yields multiple hits, but not for this one. And I thought my name was unique. As far as I'm concerned he missed his chance, a girls got to know a guys interested, and brushing her off because he was thinking too much isn't really a turn on. Anyway, maybe someone else would think it's flattering. He says they "shared a moment". Well, sometimes moments last and sometimes they're just pleasant moments in time that make life move along just a little smoother. Who knows though, maybe they'll connect on Facebook. Facebook is a whole different blog waiting to happen.

All I can say is, glad I'm done with that.

No comments: