Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Potted Plants and Potato Leek Soup

It's a BEAUTIFUL day outside. This past weekend it snowed. Today...that's right, sunny, no wind...just about perfect. Perfect enough for me to re-pot my new plants. I've had some cuttings from my grandfather's rhubarb for over a year, and yet they were still in the plastic pots my mother used to transport them to me. No longer. They are in their own nice pots sitting on my deck. So are the new tulips and pansies. Since they're potted I can bring them in again in case it decides to snow again. I'm hoping for NO MORE SNOW!

I also had time to cook. Granted, usually I have time to cook but I'm so tired I don't feel like it. It's way too easy to order food from the places nearby. I only eat about half anyway so an $8 entree equals two meals for me. When Gerd's home half of the time we eat bread, cheese, and sliced meat for dinner, which requires very little effort, either to prepare or clean.

I've been getting veggies and fruits from Boston Organics and my box arrived today. Lots and lots of yummy fruits!!! I switched to the 3/4 fruit option. My veggies included leeks, potatoes, cucumbers, and yellow squash. Since I still had a cucumber left over from last time, and really only need one leek, I brought a few items down to my downstairs (usually unfriendly) neighbor to make peace. It was a start anyway, and he seemed really grateful to get my outcasts which also included grapefruit (can't even stand the smell of them) and bananas (they make my teeth itch just thinking of them).

So I grilled some sausages (since it was so nice) and made some mashed potatoes. Not the most healthy meal in the world, but who cares, I made it myself. I wanted to look up a potato leek soup recipe, but I've realized I have terrible cookbooks. None of my crockpot cookbooks have a recipe, and here's the recipe for Swiss potato soup from Good Housekeeping:

Put 1 unopened can frozen cream-of-potato soup in warm water for 2 to 3 min.; empty into saucepan. Add 1 cup light cream, 3/4 cup milk, 1/8 teasp. each of nutmeg and pepper and 1/4 cup grated Swiss cheese; heat, stirring occasionally. Garnish with cress. Serve with deviled ham on Melba toast, followed by cantaloupe halves filled with ice cream and blueberries. Makes 4 servings.

TWO pre-made items (soup and deviled ham) and a suggestion for desert. No wonder I get all of my recipes off of the internet!

No comments: