Thursday, May 6, 2010

Community Meal

For the past 2 months I've been doing a community meal with my students on Thursdays. We haven't managed it every week, but I'd say we've been pretty good about making time to fix a meal together most weeks.

I think it's a valuable experience, even if the meals haven't always been organic, or local, or even healthy each time. I'm not sure how to introduce conscientious eating with my students. I'm still reeling from the macaroni and cheese with fake mashed potato meal last week. To be fair, I didn't have time to pull it together and students wanted to do a quick lunch so they picked up all the ingredients themselves.

But the carb fest last week isn't the norm. We've done tacos, personal pizzas, and chicken and rice. Today we're making salad and smoothies. I hope that the time we spend cooking together plays some part in teaching students that making meals instead of buying meals is a fun and (possibly) healthy option. Hopefully someday I can step it up a notch and really focus on healthy quick meals.

No comments: