Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Man vs. Knotwood

Okay, I'm trying to put together my organic garden but it's going pretty slow.

I've got tomatoes, potatoes, broccoli, beans, carrots, corn, chard, fennel, strawberries, rhubarb, and radishes planted. This upcoming weekend I'll plant chilis, peppers, zucchini, squash, cucumbers, watermelon, and pumpkins. Notice I haven't planted any cabbage or lettuce, I'm going to have to rely on local providers because I just haven't had enough time to set up enough beds. I figured they'd be the easiest to buy from other people. I'd like to get some berry bushes in too, but it might be a project for next year, we'll see how it goes. I'm probably missing something else, but I think it's a pretty good list for now.

If I can keep the Japanese knotwood at bay I might just have a good harvest, but it's no sure thing that I'll be able to keep my beds knotwood free. Yesterday I spent 2 hours digging out the noxious weed from half of one bed. I still have the area nearest rhubarb and potatoes to go. Next time I buy a house I'm going to check the yard for invasive species before signing on the dotted line. Seriously, this is a major problem. There's supposed to be a herbicide that will kill it, but who knows if I want that near my organic veggies? It would be too early to spray anyway since online sites describe spraying the plants in fall. I guess I've got a few months to research. If I don't do anything I'll end up with a jungle pretty quick. Anyone know if you can eat knotwood?

2 comments:

BriteLady said...

I've never heard of knotwood :)

The garden sounds nice, and huge! How big of a space do you have?

And probably good to hold off on lettuce/cabbage anyway. Boston is probably cooler than St. Louis, but lettuce/cabbage type plants like spring and fall and immediately bolt (go to seed without any good leaves) in the heat of June.

Good luck :)

Bethany said...

Knotwood is an evil empire. It takes over land, and when you try to pull it up it splinters and takes over even more land.

My yard is 40ft wide and 80ft long, I've got about 2/3 of the space sectioned off for the garden (someday to be an urban homestead). Gerd says it's not enough fun area, but I think it'll be great when everything is in bloom. In fact, I'd like to set up even more beds next year (in the same portion of the land).

You're right about the cabbage, I shouldn't have included that for this month (although I don't plan on planting it later either) but lettuce is growing pretty well in most areas around Boston right now. I could easily have planted some in late April when I planted the radishes and broccoli but didn't. At the time I was sick of lettuce, but now I'm wishing I'd planted some anyway...