Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Double Grr Day

This morning when I went out to water my garden, I noticed something missing. I hadn't had a chance to take pictures yet, but a vine that had been creeping over our fence turned out to be a concord grape vine. I had a boatload of grapes almost ripe for the picking.

Too bad the neighbors cut it down.

In fact, in preparation of renting out the two apartments they've been converting next door, they killed every single plant in their back yard. It's such a shame, and some of the vine was growing on my side of the fence.

I guess I can't complain too much, considering most of the root ball was on their side of the fence, but a little warning would have been nice. Instead I found plant carnage on my side of the fence.

Next GRRR. I came home and found my housekeeper's son using my laptop. Sorry, but I think it's inappropriate for someone to use my computer without asking first. He's a 6 year old kid, so I can't blame him too much, but I can get upset with his mother for allowing it. I've never needed to password protect my computer, but I'm debating it now. I feel kind of bad for the kid, he went off and played on his mother's brand new iphone after I kicked him off of the computer. The iphone is a whole nother issue...(she did claim in the interview she needed a second job because she was going through a separation and needed money to support her son...)

This almost set me over the top, but rational thought took over. She's now been told specifically that anyone needing my computer needs to ask first. She always follows directions and corrects mistakes when they're made, but problems occur when she isn't given explicit instructions. I don't know, maybe I'm overboard on this issue, but to me it seems like a no-brainer.

But Gerd came home today, so life is much better now. I may be grape-less, and maybe soon housekeeper-less, but I'm no longer husband-less, thank God. Boy have I missed him.

2 comments:

BriteLady said...

I am upset for you that someone would use a computer without asking, let alone allow a child to do so. That is beyond appropriate.

Computers these days are full of personal information and are way too vulnerable to someone accidentally deleting something important. Letting a child play with someone's computer is like letting a child play in your filing cabinet with scissors and crayons.

Sorry to hear about the grapes :( I don't understand why they wouldn't have at least harvested the fruit or asked if you wanted any first, but who knows how people think. That's not been an issue with our neighbors. On one side we have renters who keep the yard tidier than our own but don't change anything, and on the other side we have a semi-absent neighbor. I am actually tempted to dump some flower seeds in a few of the beds in his yard that he's allowed to go bare since moving in like 5 years ago. I don't know if he'd approve, even if it would actually improve the house's curb appeal.

Bethany said...

I really very nearly fired her again the other day when she admitted that she TOLD her son to get on my computer. (I had hoped he did it of his own volition and she just ignored it)

He didn't have anything else to do, she said, since her iphone battery died. I thought it might be wrong, but didn't want him to be bored, she said. Oh, I don't know, how about playing in the back yard, looking through my collection of children's books, playing with the drum set in the basement, using the stuffed animals to create some sort of imaginary game, playing solitaire with a deck of cards, helping with the cleaning somehow.... I think I'm going to have to set up a kid area with things for him to do since his mother doesn't seem to have any common sense.