Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Winter

I was going to post pictures, but since I need to charge my iPhone (that has all of my pictures on it) it'll need to wait for later. I'm up and insomniatic for the night (day 2 no sleep!) so I might as well post something.

We've had 4 snow days so far, although only one of those days meant I didn't have to go to work. Non-profits don't have snow days, students have snow days. I did a miraculous job cleaning out my pantry on the day I had off. Really, it looked (and continues to look) amazing. I've added another Ikea kitchen item to make the kitchen more user friendly, a long counter with storage space underneath. Now I can move all of my kitchen doo dads and pots and pans out of the food storage area and actually put food in the pantry! It's great. I have pictures and everything, maybe I'll actually put them up sometime.

Parking during winter has been better than any other time in Southie. Funny that I thought the cone space savers would be an irritation. Nope, only once did someone move our cone, and that was after enough spots had cleared out that we could still find a place to park. They were allowed, it was after 48 hours (but only by something like 5 hours), but it's pretty much not done here. I've seen people put space savers out since the first snow storm, nobody bothers them. That means I know I'm coming home to a parking spot! Of course I don't drive sometimes because I want to make sure I've got a spot before the next storm. We're supposed to get 21 inches tomorrow and there's no way I'm moving my car before it's over. Driving in Boston in snow is terrible anyway, I'd rather take the hour bus commute. I can read a book.

My iPhone is working again! I dropped it in the toilet and wasn't sure it would ever function again. I'm so happy I don't have to shell out more money for a new phone. I might slightly covet the new iPhone 4g, but I'm soooo close to being done with a contract with AT&T, I don't want to end up with another 2 years with them. I've debated an android, but I'm not sure how that would work with mobile me or how I could sync my calendars.

In order of usefulness, the functions my phone has that I've come to rely on are

1) GPS, I can figure out where I am, and what bus to take, beautiful,
2) Calendar, I know when I'm supposed to do what, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, I get alarms, messages on my computer, and can see my calendar from anywhere,
3) Camera, it might be a crummy camera, but I find myself taking all kinds of pictures, because I just happen to have a camera on me, and I can email it straight to my computer, totally phenomenal, and
4) Internet access so I can look up phone numbers, addresses, and anything else that I need or want, right then!
5) Phone, oh right, that's it's main function, right? I could almost go to an iTouch, get a mini microphone and be done with phone plans, but I'm not too sure about that, besides which an iTouch is just as expensive as an iPhone, and I'd still want a data plan.
6) Kindle. I don't need to carry around a book on the bus, I already have one. People ask if it's too small to read, and I say truthfully, no. It's fine, same sized letters you'd find on a book, you just have to change pages more often. It's a flip of the finger, and I don't need to carry anything extra with me. Never thought I'd like electronic books, but I love it.

That being said, after my phone crashing I re-remembered (this is not a new concern) how completely addicted I am to technology. Seriously, I probably should just get rid of the phone and the computer so I spend more time doing things I really want to do, like bake or sew or work on the house. The thing is, even when I do turn off the tec, I come home not really feeling like doing a whole lot other than relaxing. Relaxing? Perhaps I mean vegetating.

This weekend was the first productive weekend I've had in a while. I did laundry, and more laundry, and more laundry. I still have 2 more loads to go (more towels and a load of sheets). I feel like I've washed every article of clothing I own, and my husbands. I cleaned out the refrigerator (wow did it need it). I pulled the carpet off of the stairs (it was hideous). I sorted and filed 6 months of bills and other mail. And I started picking out new colors for the entryway (gray. I want a nice gray color, and I need to strip the knoll post and railing, and stair treads).

Okay, I've bored even myself with this post, but there you have it. That's pretty much why I haven't been posting, because life is pretty boring right now. Every time I think of going to choir, it snows and choir is canceled. I'm caught up with school work for the first time because we haven't had a full week of school since we got back from Christmas break. There's just not much to say, everything is dormant. I can't wait for spring, even if it means rain. I think it's time for a trip to somewhere warm.

2 comments:

BriteLady said...

Glad the phone's working again. I flushed a pager once (about 10 years ago--not dropped but actually flushed away), and have been paranoid ever since about losing stuff in toilets :P

Re: phones. Hubby and I have HTC Evo's (android phones...we use Sprint). Love, love, love them. They do all that you mentioned. And the camera is almost as good as my regular point-and-shoot (its 8mp and has decent digital zoom, plus takes video). It also has a second front-facing camera too that I can use for video calls (rarely used, but have done it).

Because its Android, the calendar is Google, and I can get to google calendar at work (where I have no phone), and hubby and I can share a family calendar so we instantly get each others updates. And Kindle for Android works great (as does the Nook app, the Borders app, the Google books app, Acrobat reader...).

I get my gmail, my yahoo mail (through Yahoo's own app, plus their messenger app), and two other personal email accounts all on there all sorted and easy to use.

And my phone can be used as a wifi hotspot (for the laptop/netbook when driving in the car for like 2 days...)

:) Not trying to be a salesman, but if/when your AT&T contract is up, definitely shop around. There are a lot of cool phones out there and data plans vary between carriers.

Bethany said...

I've debated the HTC, they look pretty. Does the google calendar set off an alarm? I can set alerts for events, and that has saved me a bunch of missed appointments.

My phone is fully functional, but it does kind of have some lingering strangnesses. Like, the brightness comes and goes, and occasionally it'll say something like unauthorized accessory when nothing is plugged into it. Still, I hate to shell out more money until it really dies.

I don't know if you remember the old commercial for a new refrigerator where women were destroying their old refrigerators so they wouldn't work and they could justify buying a new one? I'm tempted...