Monday, February 28, 2011

Wet Cats

We're having a little work done. I'm sick of the bathroom being undone and I'm tired of waiting for contractors to give us a quote, so it's back to Artur. We love Artur, although he consistently underbids his work. We've asked him to come in and redo our bathroom floor and have a plumber fix the broken drain pipe and move the pipes for the bathtub. Once the floor is level and has a concrete board subfloor, Gerd says he wants to do the tile himself.

I'm not going to argue with my husband. I'm sure he can figure out how to rent a wetsaw, and once he has one, he can figure out how to make the most precise cuts. I'm just hoping I'm not going to be around when he does it.

In any case, by the end of the week (ish) we should have a somewhat functional bathroom that will still need a lot of work, but at least we'll be able to use the commode without a) black water seeping into the basement and b) the toilet rocking itself off of the pipe.

But the title of this post is Wet Cats for a reason. While Artur was tearing out our subfloor the cats, freaked out, took cover. Unfortunately, the best cover was in the form of the exposed walls. It was fairly easy to find Kiwi, the smallest (and least intelligent of the cats). She's the bravest, and came out as soon as I got home from work. Usually she has a white belly. Not so much anymore, really pretty gray when you look at it.

Aristotle was hidden between the heating ducts in the basement. He came out when I opened a can of wet cat food. He's all gray anyway, but the dust kind of poofed off of him when he shook his booty.

Confucius is the smartest of the cats, and also the mastermind of all sneaky hiding places. We figured he'd found some clever spot in the basement so we closed the bathroom door and went to Home Depot to look at tile. When we came back he was crying to be let out of the bathroom. Keep in mind that we'd searched the bathroom before leaving. He's usually part white too.

I left on a heavy fleece, because I've washed cats before, and I know they have a tendency to crawl up your body. The fleece was a pretty good claw guard. The cats are now drenched, but their whites are now white, or at least closer to white than before a bath. The kitchen is covered in cat hair and water, and we went through a few towels, but the cats have forgiven me.

They're locked up for the night. We don't know how they managed to get into the walls, but we're not risking it again. For now they're stuck in the spare bedroom with food, water, and a litter box. I have a feeling the next week won't the best week for the feline members of this family.

No comments: