Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Baking Bread

Its been a while since I baked bread. We killed our (second) sourdough starter over Christmas and haven't tried to make a starter since. I think my regular dry yeast has gone bad because my one and only attempt to bake since Christmas was a failure. A huge failure really because I used regular old white flour.

I bought into a grain share, and would like to justify doing the same for next year, but I haven't been using my grain. I'm about to try again, but I've had very little success with home ground flour. Ideally I'd use home ground flour for a sourdough loaf, but I'm open to yeast. After all, what's the benefit of finding out I'm not intolerant to gluten and then never eating gluten?

So I'm scouring the internet for a recipe that will work with thicker flour, that DOESN'T involve mixing 10 different types of flour. I do have xanthum gum, but I'm hoping for something that doesn't need additional thickening agents. So if you know a recipe for stone ground (or just home ground, ie thick) flour I'd love to hear it.

1 comment:

BriteLady said...

I don't have a specific recipe link, but check out King Arthur Flour's website. They sell a lot of different types of grains and have recipes to go with them all. I'm sure they have several that are appropriate for your flour.

Also, I know that Cooks Illustrated had a recipe for a multigrain sandwich bread a while back. I am pretty sure their recipe called for a multigrain hot cereal mix as the grain base, but I'm sure it could be adapted for something else.

I have never used xantham gum, but I know that one of the problems with a 100% whole grain bread is the gluten. Even most wheat bread recipes call for some amount of white flour because the whole wheat and other grain types don't have enough gluten to make the bread structure. That could easily be the issue with your failed attempt if the yeast is otherwise active. Does xantham gum provide the gluten (I am spacing on what its specific role is...I thought it was more of a softener/texture thign)?

I think you can buy "gluten" for breadmaking that can be added to a mix that has a lot of whole grains. Around here I'd have to drive to the ritzy part of town to Whole Foods to find it, as my local grocery store doesn't carry a lot of "eccentric" ingredients, so I haven't played with it.