Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Future of Food Review

I love a good documentary, but I'm also easily disappointed by a mediocre one. After watching The Future of Food, I'm still ruminating. Was is good, mediocre, bad? Somehow, despite some key points made for the food movement, something fell flat. The key points made about the states' agriculture system included genetically modified foods and their dangers, and how corporations have bought out our government.

I think the problem with the movie isn't necessarily the facts, but the very narrow focus on genetically modified foods. According to the movie only 25% of food is genetically modified in the states, but our problems are MUCH bigger than that. Food, Inc. did a much better job discussing problems with regulation of all farms, including large farms that don't use GMA seed.

But I think it's an important movie to see, if only for the clear explanation of how foods can be genetically altered. Still, it's not the first food documentary to see. I'd still recommend Food, Inc. and then possibly King Corn if you want a clear picture of the problems with agriculture in America. Dirt, the Movie, while not wholly focused on food is another must see. All four can be viewed via Netflix in their Watch Instantly section. If you have a smart phone the Netflix app will stream Watch Instantly films on the 3G network if you don't mind a little screen (which I don't) and even save your spot if you watch in 10 minute increments (which I tend to do).

However you get your hands on these documentaries, they're bound to make you think about your dinner. It's just what I needed to give myself a kick in the butt to plan out my meals better. When I don't plan ahead we end up either eating out or eating some quick processed food that's easy to make, but of unknown origin. I always knew I wanted to know my food a little better, but sometimes it takes a documentary to remind me why.

No comments: