Monday, August 6, 2012

On My Mind

Call it genetic, or call it the amount of protein intake I had throughout the pregnancy, but these babies just do not want to come out!  I figured I'd have hopefully 2 weeks off before the babies arrived, but ideally one month.  I'm going on 6 weeks now, and we set a deadline for induction.  Sure, I'm using the time to rest, but overall, there's not much I can do, and when that happens, my brain goes on overdrive.

So what's on my mind? 

Well, one thing is that I have been reading more news, and I'm particularly concerned about the different reports on the drought in the midwest.  Fish dying because the water is too hot? Organic farmers struggling to fulfill their CSA obligations? Corn growers with land that is too dry to work?  We have been pretty lucky here in Boston, but I'm far from immune to the concern over water disbursement.  According to Lester Brown this was all going to happen someday, but climate models had it all down the road a little.  With any luck next year will be a rainy season, but once the earth is scorched, and the topsoil compromised, the amount of water absorbed will decrease.  With increasing bouts of dryness, I wonder how many people realize how serious, how quickly, this can become. 

But I need a better news source.  I often go to HuffingtonPost.com because, although they have fluff pieces,the also have articles on things I want to know about.  Unfortunately, I see more and more fluff and less and less real stuff, and they have bought into the drama of violence in America.  Can we PLEASE not give voice to all of these people who are violent?! It does not help any of the victims, or the rest of us really, if we make it so easy for someone to become notorious if they kill others.  I'm convinced people do these big acts of violence so they make it on the news.  Is that crazy, yes, but I think it's true.  I'd rather hear a headline story about a hero during an attack than learn the details of how the killer planned it all.

Houses, houses, houses.  After I started looking around for a vacation rental in Germany, I ended up on a site that is selling apartments.  For 29,500 Euro we could buy a one bedroom house a few blocks from my husband's mother.  We happen to have 24,000 Euro sitting in a bank account that we've been debating how or if to transfer back to the states.  That money is a contentious subject between us, as it wasn't supposed to leave the states in the first place, but that's another story.  Gerd isn't really sure about the idea yet, and I do wish it was a 2 bedroom place, but I can't help but think of how useful it would be to have a place that we knew we would go to each time we go for a visit.  We could leave cribs and toys there, and we would be able to use some of the belongings Gerd's grandmother has in her abandoned apartment (even though she has been in an assisted living community for 5 years, and has no plan on moving back, she still has an apartment in a retirement complex).

Of course that got me thinking about my house in New Mexico too.  I've started conversations with a different property manager to determine if my house would be a good short term furnished rental.  It would be a bit nerve-wracking, wondering if I could rent it out enough of the year to make it pay for itself, but it would be SOO wonderful if I could actually stay in my own how when I visit New Mexico.  I didn't now there were property managers who specialize in furnished short time vacation rentals, but I could hire someone to manage all the bookings, cleanings, bills, etc.  BUT, I have a pretty stable renter right now, and I'm not sure it's a good idea to rock the boat. We'll have to see what the property manager says when she drives by the neighborhood.  It's possible she could say the area is just not desirable enough and I wouldn't be able to rent it out enough to make it worth the investment.

You would think, with this amount of time on my hands, that you would find my house spotless, meals cooked on time, plenty of projects started and completed, but no.  Instead my head just spins and spins.  Acupuncture tomorrow, maybe it'll work!  Then I won't really have time to think of all this stuff for a while, and that would be a good thing.

No comments: