Saturday, August 4, 2012

Overdue

Okay, so depending on what you believe about twin pregnancy, I could be considered overdue, or not yet due.  I'm at 38 week, which I really didn't think would happen, but has.  According to even the midwives, who are a little more nature based than the regular OBs, twins are fully developed at 38 weeks, they have to be because of space limitations.  According to the Bradley method twins can, and often should, take the full 40 weeks.  Bradley also thinks it's perfectly normal for a singleton pregnancy to take up to 44 weeks as long as everything appears healthy and normal. He's pretty anti-induction.

With that being said, we already know that the midwives want to induce around 40 weeks if I get that far.  Pretty much everyone, the OB, the midwives, the doula, say that a 38-39 week delivery is being best if possible.  Natural induction efforts have begun and will continue throughout the week.  I am hesitant to go too far, so I'm saving the more dramatic induction efforts, like using a breast pump, or a foley pump, until at least 39 weeks (and hoping I don't make it that far). If I make it to 40, there's not much to be done but go with pitocin and hope for the best.  At least I'm not actually allergic to pitocin.

So what are the natural induction strategies recommended?

walking/physical activity
bumpy roads (hey, it almost worked before)
spicy food (at least it tastes good)
acupressure points
acupuncture
integrated awareness session (somewhat like Reiki)
sex (sadly, not likely)
breast pump/nipple stimulation
foley pump (to expand dilation)
thumb sucking (but have to already have started some type of labor)
herbs/supplements (I'm a bit wary of this, herbal medicine can be pretty strong stuff)

I might be missing some, but there's the short list. And there you have it.  Now I'm off for a walk :)



No comments: