Friday, September 4, 2009

Personal Chef

Do you know that there are people out there who get paid to be personal chefs? They go into people's houses and cook all their meals for the week. I had no idea there was a market for that, but I guess it makes sense. I know people who would pay for the service. Me, I want a housekeeper who cleans weekly and takes care of the litter box.

I found a personal chef's blog while looking for recipes to can marinara sauce and remain fascinated by the descriptions of what meals they end up with. I wanted to find a way to make my own sauce after I spent $20 buying ingredients to make homemade pizza today. I probably won't be making the cheese anytime soon (my last effort was somewhat lackluster) but I figure I could easily put together the crust and sauce. The only thing is, I'd like pizza to be an easy meal during the week. My last pizza dough experience went a bit...well...wrong.

So my mom may, or may not, be able to come down this weekend. If she does we're going to the farmer's market and buying some heirloom tomatoes that weren't hit by the tomato plague. I figure that sauce comes first because a) tomato season is ending and b) tomato sauce is way more expensive than the dough (Foodies market carries "homemade" dough for $1.30).

I figure that the cost might not be much cheaper but it'll be MY sauce, made in season and preserved for the year (hope it tastes good).

No comments: