Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Queen of Boxed Dinners

In case you've been waiting for a roundup of local dinners, it's not been like that around here lately.

Today's dinner was out with the minister. Heck, even lunch at the farm today included delivery pizza. I stooped so low as to make shake-n-bake stuffed pork chops with stovetop stuffing. I don't think I managed to really cook, by that I mean slow food cook, at all last week.

On a positive note I did add local cooked carrots to at least a couple of the meals. I used to hate cooked carrots until my German au pair mother taught me how to do them in a white sauce. Now I love them.

On another positive note, I finally finished off one batch of compost in our Nature Gate composter and figured out what the terrible smell was. Empty the drain cup, that's what I've learned. It only smells a little earthy when you open the lid now and the smell no longer lingers like a bad dog fart. I can live with it now, thank goodness.

And it was a good day at the farm. I learned how to start seeds today. That and pick a bunch of winter greens. We must have picked about 10 pounds of greens, although I admittedly was the slowest picker today. I would have rather continued seeding, but at least it wasn't hauling buckets of sap around.

But overall, life is kind of nuts right now. I've got the days scheduled into hour increments and my phone alerts just keep going of. I'm adding on my to do list, make homemade box dinners. Taco seasoning and flavored bread crumbs probably would have saved the day this week. I plan to make it up next week when I buy some rabbit and pork from the farm. That and we get another box of veggies soon so I'd better use up what I've still got in the fridge.

Any suggestions for meals involving carrots, potatoes, cabbage, and broccoli?

2 comments:

BriteLady said...

Carrots, potatoes and broccoli together can be oven-roasted. Chop into similar sized pieces, spread on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, add salt & pepper (or other spices if you prefer), cook around 425 or 450 or so. Onions work well in that mix too, as do bell peppers, zucchini, asparagus (all stuff that is way out of season right now, of course).

Also, never chopped the veggies myself, but the grocery store here sells "broccoli cole slaw" mix which includes shredded cabbage, broccoli, carrots (and probably celery and a few other things, but I don't know what). Add some sort of dressing, and possibly chunks of fruit (apples, pineapple), and nuts and you have kind of a summery salad.

Not sure what to do with all of those veggies at once :)

Bethany said...

Thanks for the suggestion, maybe I'll roast what I've got and reheat them next week. Who knows. I forgot we were going out of town this weekend so I will have to do something with them tonight. I just can't keep up!