Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Wide Awake and Exhausted

It's not that I don't want to answer questions about Iraq, really it's not. Actually I think it's an interesting story. The thing is though, inevitably I end up awake in the middle of the night, unable to sleep, and really, really tired.

Hamish, my last boyfriend, used to complain about the questions about his heritage. They'd hear his name, and then his brogue, and conversation would turn to Scotland and his decision to stay in the states after his divorce was finalized. Like a sore tooth, and a tongue that just keeps finding that tender spot, the issue was never really far from hand. And it was a painful issue for him because he was so homesick for his family, but his decision to stay was not made lightly. Every time someone would ask about his homeland, however, he would question his decision.

The subject of Iraq is almost unavoidable. I'm constantly meeting new people, and for them the subject is new and interesting. And, to get to know me, it's a part of who I am and why I've made the changes in my life that are so evident today. But it's a sore tooth. And I'm awake, once again.

No comments: