Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Evacuation Day

I wasn't really sure what "Evacuation Day" was all about so I had to google it.

Boston schools are closed today, not for St. Patty's day, but for Evacuation Day. Apparently the Continental Army drove out the British on St. Patrick's day in 1776.

Although I'm now teaching, I don't get the day off. I'm employed by a private, religious organization that has a joint deal with the public schools...it's complicated. I don't get the day off.

So what am I doing? I'm painting my classroom. Or rather, I will be painting my classroom as soon as I get off of my portion of desk coverage. Most of the staff is employed by the public schools, and therefore not here. That includes our receptionist...

So there are some drawbacks to the job. But really, not many. I suppose the fact that I'm a year long employee is the worst part. The best part? I don't have to take attendance, give out grades, meet with parents. I also have a very devoted counselor and social worker that support our students and their needs.

All in all, I'm not minding my day here without students. I don't care if it's for evacuation day, St. Patty's day, or just because... It's a nice, laid back day. I think I'm going to like my job.

No comments: