Saturday, July 31, 2010

Joe's



I can't say it's in honor of Trader Joe's founder's death, but I did give a thought to the Aldi bigwig this weekend when I broke my own package rule. I've been trying to stay away from packaged foods, but I've decided that me eating a balanced meal that comes from a package is better than the alternatives. Alternative 1) I don't eat anything until I'm starving, and then consume whatever sweets or carbs I have in the house. Alternative 2) I go out to eat or order food in. Alternative 3) I don't eat at all.

It's nice having my garden, but I need to eat more of my own vegetables (although I've put away a bit of broccoli, chard, potatoes, and spinach). I'm in the middle of a couple of loaves of sourdough bread (they didn't rise very well though because it's not very warm today). And I've now added my newest "pet" in the quest for local foods...a pineapple plant. I have no idea how you seed a pinaple plant, but Trader Joe's had pineapple plants for sale, so I bought one. It tells me that in 4-6 months I'll have a pineapple (all I have to do is ensure it's temperature doesn't drop below 70 or go above 90. This is definitely an indoor plant.

No I wasn't paid for this blog (but wouldn't it be nice if I was?) Anyway, I just happened to have gone to TJ's today and am under no pressure or $ to advertise anything.

2 comments:

BriteLady said...

I think in general you grow a new pineapple from the top/leaves of an existing fruit. Yes, we've tried it, but since the only pineapple we ever see here are the battered ones in the grocery store with their leaves half dead, all we've done is postpone the eventual demise of the pineapple leaves.

Good luck with yours. It looks huge and healthy :)

Bethany said...

I found a website for starting your own pineapples after I posted this. We do occasionally get fresh pineapples in our fruit/veggie box, but I've never thought to start a pineapple plant before. If this goes well I'm going to be starting all kinds of pineapple plants! Apparently they'll bloom three times, and sometimes there are side shoots after the first plant gets established. No matter how successful I am, I'm going to be looking at pineapples a whole new way. TWO WHOLE YEARS to produce fruit?! And I could finish eating one in a few hours.