Wednesday, July 11, 2012

34 Weeks, Crazy Cat, Raspberries and more

At our most recent ultrasound the doctor estimated that the babies were 5 pounds each!  I've been planning on 36 weeks rather than 38, because it seems like I can't get much bigger, but he seemed to think I'd last longer.  Soooo, I'm thinking I'll have pretty good sized twins pretty soon.

Meanwhile one of my cats has gone a bit mental. Perhaps it's the latest construction (drywalling the living room ceiling) or just the fact that babies are on the way, but he has gone seriously weird of me.  Hiding, peeing and pooping in places he shouldn't be, avoiding the other cats, constantly grooming himself, etc.  Finally we took him to the vet, who told us it was a behavior issue.  Yes, he has early kidney disease, but none of the behaviors suggested pain, just mental anxiety.  So we just sit around and hope that it'll get better as soon as the ceiling is finished and the babies are out.

I'm no longer working.  Thank goodness because I spend a lot of time sleeping.  You'd think I'd spend more time working on the garden or fixing up the house, but no.  My iron is probably still low.  That's okay, the garden, while not exactly free of weeds, is still doing a pretty good job.  You should see the size of my garlic this year!


No really, you should SEE this garlic!


Our raspberries are doing well again this year.  This shot was taken AFTER my husband already picked a pint of raspberries and claimed there were "just a few more to pick..."  We also had a bunch of Beach Plums this year.  Okay, by a bunch, I mean a pint, but it was enough to make a little jelly... Also notice the peas that are buried under the raspberries.


I'm about ready to pick the cabbage too, although I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it.  I could shred it and freeze it for cole slaw later, try to ferment it into sauerkraut (yuck, but Gerd would like it), or stuff cabbage leaves with rice and meat and freeze the cabbage roles for later, or I could see if it can be preserved some other way, like in the sandbox.  All options seem to require work, therefore the cabbage is still safely in the ground :)


Other than that, we've harvested scapes, and I've got some zuchini ready to pick, along with a few cherry tomatoes (we thought we hadn't planted zuchini, but turns out I didn't plant squash).  Cucumbers are growing too, along with onions, potatoes, carrots, brussel sprouts, and celery (I have no idea when to pick that...). 

We're really looking forward to grapes this year.  No idea when they'll turn ripe, but the vine is awfully pretty on our arbor!






There's really not enough of anything to sustain us this year, so I've been going to the local farmers market more than in past years, and I've signed up for a CSA this year. I get to pick up the veggies at our local specialty foods store, American Provision, which is about 4 blocks away from us.  We're keeping our regularly delivered box of organics, but have changed it to a 100% fruit box.  I think it's going to be a good summer for food.  Lets see what happens to it all with babies in the mix :)

No comments: