Sunday, July 22, 2012

Freezer Crockpot Meals

I finally got around to it! A while back I discovered a site on pinterest that included make ahead meals. Considering we will have little time in the next few months, it seemed like a good idea. Through links and surfing I discovered the original author who based her recipes off of Nourishing Traditions, a cookbook/ideology I happen to really agree with. Sooo, why not give it a go? I did two recipes, Thai Chicken Curry and Stephanie's Goulash. Both recipes come from an online ecookbook sold by the author of the blog Mama And Baby Love. All in all, I think I spent about $50 for both recipes, but each recipe is supposed to make enough for 4 meals for a family of 4. One recipe called for beets (blech!) so I'm not sure how many meals that recipe will make for us since I left them out of the mix. It took about 2 hours to prep everything and clean up, but then I move pretty slow right now. I could easily see this going faster if you're working with a food processor or if you're listening to upbeat music in the background. I have no idea how the food will taste considering we haven't actually cooked one of them yet. According to instructions, the food doesn't need to be thawed before sticking it in the crockpot. You bake the food for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low and then add garnishes or last minute ingredients (like sour cream for the goulash). As far as ingredients go, I bought almost all of the vegetables at the local farmers market or they came in my CSA box. I did have to buy red bell peppers and the meat at Trader Joes (nobody at the farmers market had just what I needed meat-wise anyway). Still, I think $6.25 a meal is a pretty good deal if they turn out alright. That's only about $1.50 per person! I'll add pictures later, although I can say now it looks just like what you'd think it would look like...gallon sized ziplock bags filled with meat and veggies. They really do stack well in the freezer if you lay them on their side and squeeze the air out.

2 comments:

BriteLady said...

Kind an aha moment here.

I've pre-made crockpot meals, but only to the point where I cut all the veggies and meat the night before and put the crock pot insert into the fridge. I've never really thought to prepare it all and then freeze.

I do wonder how well things cook if you start them in the crock pot from frozen. I imagine if you're cooking 8-10 hours on low, then all will work out fine. I do wonder about the shorter cooking times (the 4-5 on high) and whether that will be enough.

And do any of your recipes include potatoes? I have the worst luck freezing potatoes (they end up with awful textures...but I generally freeze the cooked ones, not pre-cooked)

Please report back!

Bethany said...

Hey Kristi,

How strange that my formatting when bizerk,I was typing on my ipad and it didn't come out well at all...my apologies. In the original post I put in a link to the website I got the recipes from. Here's a link for you: http://mamaandbabylove.com/ She has a few free recipes on her site that you could try out.

I don't see any recipes with potatoes in them, at least at first glance. Some have sweet potatoes, but that's about it. I don't want to give away stuff that's she's charging for, but I'll tell you the names of the recipes in case you're interested:

Valencia Paella, Cumin-Cinnamon Beef Stew, Ginger-Cranberry Pork Roast, Lamb & Lentil Stew, Empanadas (not a crock pot recipe) Summer Veggies Soup (also not a crock pot recipe) Cumin Beans, Thai Chicken Curry, Carrot Ginger Soup (not a crockpot recipe) Chicken Soup, Chicken n Cherries, French Dip Beef Stew, Orange Beef Stew, Cranberry Chicken, Moroccan Lamb Stew, Italian Beef, Peanut Stew, Flank Steak Fajitas, BBQ Chicken, Goulash, Chicken Curry.

Many of them call for day of additions, so maybe you could always add potatoes the day you cook?

I often don't like crockpot meals that are cooked on high so it's more likely that when I cook them it'll be on low. I don't want to do it yet though, I'm waiting until my hands are full! Although, maybe it's a good idea to try one ahead of time...