Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Early Round-Up

I was looking at another blog in which the author is doing the 100 mile diet. I've never aimed for a 100 mile diet (New Mexico was way, way to spread out for that) but I did aim for 500 miles. Reading Gavin's post, I found it interesting that he's including % of local in his weekly accounts. So, even if you're not particularly interested in my local percentage rates, I am, and I think keeping myself accountable by putting the figures online will help me figure out where I am with staying on track. I'd like to get to about 90% local.

Saturday 1/9
Breakfast: N/A
Lunch: I don't remember, scavenged from refrigerator
Dinner: Lasagna. Noodles (not local). Sauce (home canned :) the last :( of my tomatoes this year) veggies (all Boston organics), three types of cheese (all not local) Cost, about $30 for 4 meals.
Total: 70%

Sunday 1/10
Breakfast: Eggs (scrambled with cheese and milk) Eggs from the farm stand (Natick Farm where I work) cheese (semi-local) and milk (local, organic) and sourdough waffles. Starter, flour, eggs, milk (all local), powdered milk, (not local, but organic) sugar (not local, but organic, baking soda (not local)
Dinner: Lamb pot pie (From Earth to Table cookbook). Lamb (From U.S. but possibly conventionally grown, bought at Foodies) Veggies (local and bought at a farm stand) broth (non-local but organic) pie crust (organic but not local, bought from Whole Foods). Cost: $15 for two meals.
Total: 60%

Monday 1/11
Breakfast: N/A
Lunch: Leftover Lasagna
Snack: Fruit (Boston Organics, semi-local)
Dinner: More leftover Lasagna
Total: 70%

Tuesday 1/12
Breakfast: Boiled eggs (at the farm, from the chicken practically) Salt (Should I count this?)
Lunch: Made at the farm, all from the farm, yum.
Dinner: Broccoli Cheese soup (this one didn't come out as well as last time :( Broccoli (Boston organics) Cheese, (non-local, non-organic, Husband picked it up for me) broth (salvaged from pot pies and pork roast) $5 for 1 1/2 meals (would have been 2 but my husband liked it enough to eat two bowls).
Total: 90%

Wednesday 1/13
Brunch: eggs from the farm and leftover soup
Dinner: Out, going to Stammtisch so we'll eat at the restaurant.
Total: 40%

Thursday (as planned)
Breakfast: Picked up on the way to the farm, non-local.
Lunch: Farm fare, 90% local and organic (sometimes they throw in noodles or rice)
Dinner: Leftover lamb pot pie.
Total expected: 50%

Total Cost: Approximately $100
Total Local: 60%

While I realize this is a somewhat guestimated calculation, it's as close as I can get to realistic without becoming too anal retentive. No idea yet what I'll do about Friday. I'm possibly make another loaf of bread and buy some local cheeses. I still have to use up a brassica, carrots, turnip, and some lettuce.

No comments: