Monday, January 4, 2010

Resolutions

I didn't so much as make resolutions this year as I made goals. I'd like to either loose a little weight or gain a baby. That in itself is a difficult quandary. I want to eat healthy and get all the vitamins I need, be biologically ready for a kid, and yet loose weight. My answer to this is to cut out the sugar and alcohol and add exercise.

So what's the first thing I'm doing? Canceling my gym membership. I don't go, even though I pay for it, and we're moving. The L Street Beach House is a community center and gym a few blocks from the new house that charges only $90/year. They have aerobics, weights, pilates, and stationary exercise equipment, more than enough for what I need. They don't, unfortunately have a pool, instead there's the ocean if I'm up for it. And I'm definitely not up for it in the winter. We'll see how warm it gets in summer.

But in the mean time I've been doing a pretty good job at least doing some crunches and push-ups every day. Not a bunch, but just enough to remind me that I need to do something active. And I've started cooking more without as many carbs. I'm pretty pleased with my efforts so far. Of course I did just bake bread, a staple in our house, but I haven't eaten more than a piece so far. And I really need to make more sourdough something, my starter is about to overflow.

Friday I made quiche. Finally used the leftover spinach I didn't know what else to do with. YUM, and Gerd really liked it (a surprise considering he doesn't like eggs at that much and is ambivalent about spinach).

Saturday I made broccoli cheese soup on the spur of the moment. Who knew it was that easy? Seriously, probably 15 minutes, the length of time it takes to cook broccoli. Soup and bread, great dinner. And it used up my broccoli I didn't know what to do with. I think soup is the only form of broccoli my husband will willingly (and eagerly) eat.

Sunday I put a pork roast with carrots and onions into the crockpot. We had russet potatoes (I know, carbs) and salad as sides. It's the most traditional meal I've cooked in a long time, but entirely local and seasonal. I got the recipe from one of my Christmas presents "The Farm to Table Cookbook: The art of eating locally."

Tonight? Apples with peanut butter and cheese and crackers for me (one of my favorite meals). Gerd's finishing up the pork, potatoes, and leftover soup. Hopefully he eats some bread too!

And that's where my list ends. Tuesday I get new veggies in my box so I'll have to see what's on the agenda.

No comments: