Sunday, January 3, 2010

Think I Found It

Well, I finally found a church (I think) if you can tell after one visit. I'm really pretty spoiled because I liked my church in New Mexico so much. We went to Southie, near where our new place will be, and tried the Presbyterian Church there. Thank goodness I liked it, I think it's the only non-Catholic choice in the neighborhood.

Not, mind you, that I have any problem with Catholicism, just that I disagree with natural sin and sainthood. Come to think of it I don't agree with all of the facets of Presbyterianism either, predestination and all that, but it's at least a bit more similar to my background. And the people were extremely friendly. The minister is in a musical group and downright jams to music in the service. He's really fun to watch. But his prayers were also right on the money and his sermon was good too.

The congregation lost a young but long time member recently, so the entire service was somewhat of a memorial service, despite the apparent funeral the night before. But it was nice to see how connected the whole church was. And the sermon, while focused on someone I didn't know, talked about looking for God in every man. God is light, he said, and light refracted can be seen as a prism of color, and sometimes you can see God through the beauty and color of people's lives, if we only look for it.

I've been a bit distant feeling lately. I don't know if it's New Years and all the thoughts that go with beginnings and endings, but I haven't been entirely myself. Not even fresh baked bread (that took 10 hours) or a trip to the bookstore seemed to right me. I still can't claim to be completely cheerful, but I think I needed that sermon today. I needed something uplifting after three days of wind and snow. And I feel better for having been in church.

No comments: