Friday, March 13, 2009

So you want to be a teacher?

So you want to be a teacher? HA. HA.HA.HA.

I really *really* wish the Army had waited 6 months to deploy me to Iraq. I have 2 1/2 years teaching and 3 years would get me out of the required content tests each state has. Yes, I know I've mentioned this before, but every time I have to deal with it I am once again amazed by the stupidity of the U.S. institution of education (or lack thereof).

Every state has its own content test. Now, should a teacher in New York know different content than a teacher in Colorado, or in Massachusetts, or in New Mexico? Maybe. They should have state knowledge.

Funny thing, from my own experience, state history isn't included on the content tests.

Why? Well, because the makers of each state test are the same people.

Don't believe me?

Take a look at this website


Now take a look at THIS website

Okay, one more website to make a point.

Now, it's possible that these tests are actually developed by different companies but use the same web software. It's also possible that each state is tailoring their test to their own needs. My bets are on the fact that one company is the manufacturer of all these tests.

I can back up my theory, although I have to admit it's a week argument without further research. 40 states accept some form the Praxis test. I find it likely that the other states are using a single competitor of the Praxis. Development of tests is expensive.

It just happens to be my dumb luck that New Mexico, Massachusetts, New York, and Colorado aren't on the Praxis list. Well Colorado is, but it's a Praxis II test. Naturally the Praxis II test would be a better deal except for the following problem...

Praxis II is only offered in Boston on April 24th and June 12. I would need the April test to make certification prior to the upcoming school year. Only Praxis I tests are available on April 24th. I could go to another state to take the test but I run into the SAME problem.

The Praxis is an educator test required for the following states:
Alabama
Alaska
Arkansas
Colorado (will accept one version of the test)
Connecticut
Delaware
DC
Hawaii
Iowa (for elementary teachers)
Idaho
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Nebraska (for basic competency, but must take additional tests as well)
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma (for basic competency, but must take additional tests as well)
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island (except for subject content tests)
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
US Virgin Islands
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington (introducing Praxis II, same as Colorado)
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming
Department of Defense Schools (except for subject content tests)

No comments: