Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Who is Jesus Christ?

I interviewed for a position as Church Children's Director for an Episcopal church today. I love this church. Gerd and I visited on Sunday to get an idea of the congregation and see if I would want to work with their organization.

They sang hymns about taking care of the earth. They have yoga classes in the basement, and meditation hours as well. Instead of disposable plates and coffee cups, they have reusable plates and mugs that members volunteer take home and wash.

The priest is a wonderful cheerful woman who is passionate about her congregation and about initiating a children's program. Monthly they hold an evening candlelight compline service with song and prayer for youth. In 4 months the size of the service has grown from 25 to 40.

This church is aligned with the writings of Borg and Spong, authors whose writings are responsible for my ability to stay within the Christian church.

Gretchen asked me a question that she found many people squirmed on. A 6 year old comes up and asks you, Who is Jesus Christ?

My answer is likely not the answer many Christians would like to hear, but it's my belief and, after years of contemplation, I feel very comfortable with my answer.

Jesus Christ is the son of God, and we are all sons and daughters of God. In each of us, as seen in Jesus Christ, there is a part of God our Creator. Jesus exemplifies every hope, action, and behavior that Christians strive to personify. His purity is that which we seek within ourselves. While Jesus could at any time have walked away from the path of love, his dedication to love demonstrated for all of humanity a way of life that we, as Christians, strive to follow.

Whether or not I am offered the job, or if I accept the job, I will likely return to this chuch again. Many churches would have prefered an answer that described the divinity of Jesus, or the sacrifice of the cross, and perhaps the ideas of salvation and natural sin. It's not every church that can accept my views, welcome an outlook on Christianity that is not mainstream, and congratulate me on the thoughtfulness and conviction of my reply.

No comments: