Monday, October 5, 2009

Monday Morning

I only have three things on my list of things to do today:

Laundry
Cleaning
Garden

And I did start. Really I did. But blah, I don't want to.

I've learned that even when I have the time, I still don't do the things I say I never have time to do. For instance, if I just had time I'd sweep and mop the floors each day (yeah right) and I'd weed my garden too (nope, not really).

Mom says the trick is enjoying your chores.

I do enjoy chores on the farm. I don't know why it's different there, but somehow it is. Maybe it's because someone says...could you please weed the celery field? And I do. But if I had a farm of my own, I wonder if I'd be so productive? Probably not.

Ah well, maybe music will help. That or a housekeeper. Hard to justify when you're only working part time. Oh well, Pandora here I come.

3 comments:

BriteLady said...

Its not enjoying the chores that makes you do them, always. Sometimes its knowing that you *have* to. You probably get done the things you really have to do. At work, you follow directions, because its your JOB and if you don't, you don't get paid.

At home, its much easier to justify not doing something. What's the worst that can happen if you don't mop today? How bad are the floors, really?

I bet you do those things when you really have to--when you're having company who might actually see the sticky floors, or whatever.

I get stuck on the opposite end of the spectrum. I feel like I don't have time to do some of that stuff, but I get stuck feeling like I have to. 'Course, 2-year olds leave actual sticky, unhealthy messes in their wake, so cleaning is a matter of basic sanitation, not of aesthetics. And certain (ahem) other adults in my household have a higher tolerance for, say, a pile of oatmeal on the kitchen floor than I do, so I usually do those chores even when I don't have the time (and then feel harassed and hurried the rest of the day).

I don't get to the dusting, or the sorting, or the seasonal decorating because I can always find a reason to postpone them, or somethign more pressing to do with my time.

No good advice here :) Except that maybe listening to music or a book on tape/cd/mp3 or some other fun activity makes the time go faster, and associates the work you don't like with something fun.

Bethany said...

I suppose you're right. Although often when I'm doing actual physical labor at the farm it's volunteer work. I get paid to teach kids, not muck out the hen house. That I do on my own time...crazy huh. But I guess I *have* to because that's what keeps me connected to the community and my job.

I do clean before people visit, but only at the last minute. We've got a guest coming on Thursday and I really should be getting everything in order now so I don't have to stress later. Right.

But I did do the laundry (the easiest least offensive chore in the house) and mop the living room and kitchen (not too bad because of my spiffy new German mop). But no garden for me today, and you'd think that would be the most fun of all...I like plants.

Ah well. Music did help. It's just insane that when I have time off, and plenty of it, you'd think I'd be more proactive. Not so. I actually do better under time constraints than left to my own will.

Bethany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.