Wednesday, December 9, 2009

One Pound

I did absolutely nothing yesterday, save read a book, watch a movie, and bake bread. It was the kind of recovery day I thought I needed after two weeks of traveling. It was near bliss.

But, I gained a pound.

I just got a new scale that actually shows weight in digits (before I was using a cheep round wheel of weight measurement from Ikea) and I've noticed that my weight keeps going up. Not in huge high increments, but going up nevertheless.

What concerns me about my day off (i.e. no physical exercise at all) is that I didn't eat excessively. I'm not going to say it was the most healthy meal in the world, especially considering there wasn't anything in our fridge (we have been gone for two weeks) and I didn't feel like even going shopping (although I should have because today it's raining outside).

I ate the following:

1 piece of individually wrapped chocolate (cal: 230, from fat 115)
1 handful of raisins (493, from fat 9)
1 small apple (65, from fat 2)
2 slices homemade baked bread (240, from fat 30, estimated)
1 bowl homemade(ish) from a kit green chili stew (360, from fat 35)

That's it. I've been racking my brain trying to think of anything else I ate, but I'm pretty sure that was all I ate yesterday. Now, I was surprised at how calorie high raisins were, but if I total the amount up I ate less that 1400 calories (1388). I can't believe I gained a pound.

So today I'm going to the gym. Apparently I'm going to have to exercise daily if I want to continue eating (if I gained a pound eating less than 1400 calories what would happen if I ate 3 square meals a day?). I don't mind exercise, actually once I get into a routine I really like being active, bu I'm surprised by my *need* to exercise.

2 comments:

BriteLady said...

My weight fluctuates within about a 3-pound range over the course of several days. A lot of it depends on how much (and what) I'm drinking. If I don't drink much, or drink a lot of caffeine (which makes your body shed water), then I notice my weight goes down a bit. When I don't pee as much or have eaten more salt (which holds water in solution in your body, also slightly raising blood pressure), then I weigh more. If i have large (quantity-wise, not necessarily calorie wise) meals that haven't, ahem, left the building, I will weigh more temporarily. Also, I tend to bloat a bit right around my monthly friend--I think its the body's way of cushioning irritated & cramping feminine organs :)

I wouldn't worry about a single day's change. Weigh yourself the same time every day, ideally wearing nothing but your birthday suit (clothes vary a lot), and montior the overall trend--upwards, down, or steady.

I lost about 10 pounds this year. From my year-long high (on a fuller day) to my year-long low, I could probably claim a 15 pound weight loss. But I know I'm really down just about 10, and still float within my 3 pound range over the course of a week.

Not that exercise is ever a bad thing :)

Bethany said...

I fluctuate in weight too, always have, give or take 5 pounds, but I guess I've never noticed it by the day before. I would have expected that not eating much my weight might have fluctuated down for the day. Not so. AND the trend is definitely going up, not down.

Over the past 2 years I've gained 10 pounds. I don't eat poorly, I get at least some exercise by walking around town (I worked on a farm right?) but despite that my weight is increasing. I'm actually grateful for my one pound day yesterday, it was the catalyst that got me to go to the gym in the freezing snow.

I know from lots of different experiences that weight gain doesn't usually skyrocket overnight. Over time, little bits of weight adds up until it's difficult to loose the weight. I don't want to end up struggling to be healthy. It's just a shock for me, considering my past small appetite and once fabulous metabolism to realize that I have to actually consider a diet/exercise ratio.