Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Turnips

I've never eaten a turnip before, at least that I'm aware of. Vegetables weren't really big in our house when I was growing up. Mom hates spinach and cooked carrots (or at least she did when I was a kid). We had corn, peas, green beans, broccoli, and sometimes salad. But we weren't vegetarians. Meals were pretty traditional, and turnips don't really fit with the theme.

I like turnips, at least how I made them tonight. I boiled them then added Swiss cheese, onion, milk and spices, sprinkled the top with more cheese and baked the whole thing in a casserole dish. Then I sauteed spinach, buttered a few pieces of my homemade bread and added a cup of leftover green chili stew. Fabulous dinner if I do say so myself.

Tomorrow's dinner is quinoa with broccoli and peanut butter, brussel sprouts, and leftover turnips. Friday will be homemade bread toasted with Swiss cheese along with fruit with peanut butter (for me) and Nutella (for my husband). Perhaps we'll finish off the leftover stew. Over the weekend I'll make split pea soup. I still have to figure out what to do with the celeriac.

Total cost is approximately $30 for approximately 5 meals (for two people) for an all organic menu that contains primarily local, in season foods. Feeling pretty good about dinners, now I have to work on breakfasts....

No comments: