Thursday, April 1, 2010

Culture Shock

When a cafe says they're open from 7am - 6pm, I think they're going to open at 7am. Right?

Not really. Not in Boston.

Something I've learned about living here is that smaller independent stores (the kind you always want to find out because they're so special) kind of operate a different way. If they don't have a person ready to cook at 7, they won't take cook orders, but would you like a cup of coffee?

I realized, as I walked out of a cafe hungry and grumpy this morning, that I'm used to chains (and I often unwittingly grade establishments by the same criteria). I'm used to the quality of food being the same every time you go in, I'm used to standard hours, no minimums on credit card purchases, and a standard quantity of professionalism. If I go to Applebees, for example, I expect the food will be okay, not gourmet, but the prices reasonable, the service reasonably quick, and the soda unlimited.

But when I go out here, I don't know what to expect. Different places have different minimum card charges (the bakery has a $15 minimum, the corner convenience shop doesn't take cards, and the diner has a minimum $10 charge). Some stores are open on weekends, others aren't; weekday hours are just as unique.

And, having lived amongst a different culture before I can call it what it is. Culture shock.

What if there weren't any chain restaurants by you? No Wal Mart? No McDonalds? Would you feel freed from corporate America, or miss the familiarity of it all?

And just to be clear, we do have a McDonalds fairly close by, although I don't think it's got a drive in, and I've never been to it. If you really look, you probably can find whatever chain you want somewhere within driving distance. We've got a Target, Home Depot, Office Max, and Bed Bath and Beyond. Oh, and one Olive Garden. That's about it though as far as chains, at least without getting stuck in traffic for long, annoying periods of time. Clothing store chains are more frequent around Downtown Crossing, but there are an equal amount of small, independent clothing $tore$.

But it IS a different life. Some days I wish I could just walk out to my attached garage, get in my car, and run my errands in normal traffic. No garage, no car, no normal traffic.

And so I'm wondering when I'll get through this phase of culture shock and begin to enjoy the difference.

2 comments:

BriteLady said...

I'd be lost without Walmart. And I'd probably crave the occasional trip through McDonalds. Or Arby's :)

I hear similar complaints from my older sister, who lives carless in Chicago. She was making jewelry for a while but had trouble finding supplies--there weren't any Michaels or Walmarts in the city that she could get to, and no car to drive to the 'burbs for a craft store. And, like you pointed out with the clothing stores, independents are unique, but $$.

I think there are tradeoffs, though. I miss living in the city, 2 blocks from a Panera where I could buy a bagel, and pick up the Sunday paper from a street vendor on my way back home. Stores and services are only a few minutes away here, but I still *have* to drive everywhere. Walking would take hours, and there aren't always sidewalks. And I'm not even in the far-out suburbs where there are still cornfields in between the neighborhoods. Buses aren't a real option, either (unless I have 2 hours each way to go anywhere).

Bethany said...

Arby's, I hadn't even thought of Arby's in forever, but now I'm craving a roast beast sandwich...

I know there are trade-offs, and I wouldn't live here if I didn't think the trade-offs were worth it. But it is a form of culture shock. There are actually phases of culture shock that you go through (sort of like grief)

Excitement, Withdrawal, Adjustment, Enthusiasm.

I'd say I'm somewhere between withdrawal and adjustment. I'm judgmental, but learning to deal, and to see the trade-offs.