Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Second City

I love Groupon.

I had Ticketmaster open when the last groupon deal posted online and ended up saving $74. I already planned to go to Second City in Boston and the groupon people just happened to email me with a deal exactly when I was online buying tickets!

When I was in New Mexico a coworker did Gorilla Tango improv and got me interested in the shows. Gorilla Tango is also a Chicago comedy act, but they had a stage in Albuquerque for a while...

Anyway one of my high school friends had been touring with Second City and I had hoped to catch her act. Turns out she's now quit to move to LA to act more. Ah well. I had really wanted to see her in action because I never would have pegged her for improv. After the show I get it. Second City isn't improv, at least not like Gorilla Tango improv. A shy person could do pretty good with this kind of comedy, assuming they can be unshy on stage. The shy wouldn't make it in improv unless they became an unshy person pretty quick.

So did I like it? Well, I was expecting improv like I've seen before, which it wasn't, but YES, I can say I liked it. It was like the best parts of Saturday Night Live. There were some hits and misses, but overall, pretty good.

So go to Groupon...you never know what kind of deal they might have. Today I ended up buying a $25 coupon for $50 worth of food at Tommy Doyles, which is where we go every other week for our German language meetup. I wouldn't buy just any gift certificate, but if it's somewhere we would go anyway...

2 comments:

BriteLady said...

Curious who's the high school friend?

Bethany said...

Robyn Norris