Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Renewal

I guess it may have been the move that threw me off. Either that or Grampa, or just life as it sometimes seems to careen out of control.

I HAD been doing a pretty good job eating locally, avoiding boxed dinners or anything else that came in a plastic package. I was going to the farm, doing yoga, attending counseling, and getting acupuncture.

During lent I add instead of subtract. I'm not Catholic, so my participation in lent takes on a more protestant/independent/Quaker feel. It's supposed to be about bending yourself back to God. I did so by doing daily devotionals, something I haven't done probably since high school. I also attended church each Sunday (except on moving weekend because of stress, Pagan guests, and a lack of inertia) and attempted to go to one other church related activity each week. I didn't need to add local foods or any of the other things I've mentioned because I was already on that bandwagon.

Overall, I'm happy with my spiritual discipline over Lent. I just wish I had continued the OTHER things I'd been trying to keep doing.

Now that Lent is over and we're fully moved into the new house, I'm ready to renew those other disciplines. It started with yoga at the local community center. Did I mention it's only $90 for the entire year? Of course the one class I attended wasn't the best, but there are many others to choose from.

And yesterday I even made quiche. With homemade crust. (I found one hell of a crust recipe, it's awesome and uses a lot less fat than many other recipes I've seen)

That may not be earth shattering news, but it's a sign of renewal. And it's a reminder that, even if I fail sometimes, I will continue to persevere.

No comments: